removing heat with thermal tape and small heatsinks

Those measurements are obviously pretty rough.

Of course, squashing reduces both specific thermal conductivity and thickness. That's a double whammy on theta.

The dielectric strength is 6 KV/mm.

It's fun stuff, strongly resembling used chewing gum.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Thanks, John, I look forward to playing with it.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winfield Hill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

I am not sure. It depends on just how high that voltage is. Less than 2kV is usually worry free (read less worrysome). If you have a truly HV circuit there. then corona and other effects start to become worrysome even without added sinking elements. I know that did not address your actual question. I guess it is me asking for more particulars about the circuit.

I guess my answer is that it varies from maker to maker and application to application. One would think that they are mostly targetting insulative materials.

There are thermal epoxies that are also electrically conductive though.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We had gap pads that were the size of a 3.5 inch hard drive and they were a quarter inch thick. The compressed cross-sectional thickness over the areas to be sinked is the most critical because the stuff simply is not as good as hard, intimate epoxied matings.

The level of heat being produced in his application in not something a mushy gap pad is going to be comfortable with, even after you compress it down to a mm thikness.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It is only 'messy' when a less than adept person such as yourself I suppose is at the helm.

Look at IC chips with metal sinking attachment lids. They are ALL attached to the die element with electrically and thermally conductive epoxy.

Specifically Epotek H20E.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You are not very bright. Your inane lean toward thinking that no one else in the world has any brains is as annoying as it gets.

The industry has apparently been miles ahead of your inane first use decisions about it. You obviousLY never scientifically research anything. .

You are a punk, at best.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You failed to note the level of heat his parts are producing. It is not that the gap pad would not pull heat away. The problem is that it would not/will not/can not pull it off fast enough for that application.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

His application is so small in size that any non-planarity your wee wittle bwain attempts to come up with has exactly NIL effect

You should also try using an extruder company that actually knows what they are doing.

YOURE extruder selection produces that crap. MINE does NOT.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You should have gotten one for your brain decades ago, because you are a crispy critter, Larkin.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Funny, you have yet to show any numbers that have anything to do with this application.

If you think I am wrong, why don't you call berquist and find out.

A gap pad is the wrong choice to provide a solution for this application.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You are an idiot, and obviously know nothing or even less than nothing about hard anodized Aluminum properties.

You claiming to be scientific, and then spewing stupid cracks like this are more proof that you stopped learning decades agao.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You're an abject idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The lens was $3000?

The IR Imager was $3000?

Which is it, Johnny?

Because if you paid $3000 for a Ge lens you are a true idiot. I am quite sure they saw you coming.

The lens does not change the focus or resolution ya dopey dipshit. ALL a Ge lens does is limit the spectrum the unit's IR imaging plane gets presented to it.

And yes, I DO know. I worked in IR thermometry back when imagers had to have an LN bath behind the image plane to cool it. and they were only 4 frames per second at 640 x 320.

You say some of the most childish things here, and make some of the most lame, underinformed, or even UNinformed claims and statements I have ever seen anyone claiming to be a scientist make.

Why don't you post something derrogatory about NASA or the space shuttle program or the ISS?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Robert Baer wrote in news:KYQ5E.234980 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx23.iad:

You say some of the most stupid things ever. Are you competing with Larkin for a stupid f*ck in sed award?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Winfield Hill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Yes, the cross-sectional thickness of the compressed area of the pad wituated over the element to be sinked matters. Thinner is better.

The stuff is usually very expensive though, and we had to have ours dies cut for uniformity in mil spec device mfgr. They came with a thick foil sheet bonded to one side to interface with the product enclosure.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I clearly said "lens". The whole thing was $14K.

It was well worth it.

Lenses don't focus images? Interesting claim.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yuck, how long does it last?

Can I ask what you put on top, and how you hold it down? More and more I think a single screw/ clamp is best.

(more screws is asking for production errors.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yuck indeed, but I have no idea how long it lasts.

Here's the water-cooled aluminum baseplate. A PC board screws down onto that with five 2-56 screws. The board bows a tiny bit, from compressing the gunk. Lots of copper pours and thermal vias.

It looks a little ratty, but that stuff really works.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

OK I have no idea, but at least think about having to replace it in five years.

George H. (total thread bend) I've been using these 20V zeners as noise sources for years (~15) the latest batch is suddenly a lot quieter. (crap!) I've ordered

100 from other suppliers... or I'll have to redo the circuit... faster opamp maybe. GH
Reply to
George Herold

Well back to back stacks of bellville washers, if money is no object. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold