Releasing verion 0.4.12 of xpsa , the rtl_sdr dongle based Linux spectrum analyzer

Releasing version 0.4.12 of xpsa, the rtl_sdr dongle based Linux spectrum analyzer:

There is quite bit of work that went into this. You can set FFT size, sample rate, zoom factor, harmonic selection, and audio commands to run it as radio all from the GUI. Display speed varies depending of type of processor you have, from about 25 fps on a Sempron to > 50 fps on an i5 for the smallest FFT (2048 points). And from about 8 fps to > 25 fps for the largest FFT When using the largest FFT (131072 points) you can zoom in to a factor 64, and look at a few Hz precision at several hundred MHz. Heterodyne function is provided, you can set a local oscillator frequency. Tested with 4000 tuners and 820 tuner based sticks.

I have added stdin to stdout piping, so you can even run 2 or more in series via the internet when using 'netcat', easily save streams etc etc. That is the power of Unix, teh ability to use pipes. So it will work remote too. There are some simple examples in the README. No manual, it assumes you have the clue somewhere at hand.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hey Jan, I got an earlier version of xpsa working and wanted to do some further work on it. Is there a public source code repo other than just your tarballs? Like Github for example? I'd like to be able to merge in future enhancements and send my own.

I wrote to your email address (above) but got no answer.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Jan 2015 08:55:44 +1100) it happened Clifford Heath wrote in :

No, I will keep it under my own control. I have done quite a bit of coding on it lately, and version 0.5 with a zillion fixes and changes is on the site:

There are other projects that require attention, will see. I will check the yahoo email again later.

But if you have code, try snipped-for-privacy@Xpanteltje.com, remove the X. I had problems with yahoo mail lately, and slowly moving everything away from that.

Of course you are free to modify it in any way you like, but plz name it differently so as not to interfere with version numbering.

0.5 works nice actually, last night I experimented with using the sox compander to get better audibility in nbfm reception with rtl_fm, something like: nbfm /root/compile/pantel/rtl-sdr/librtlsdr-0.5.3/build/src/rtl_fm -d $1 -F 9 -M fm -f $2 -p $3 -r 24k -l $4 $5 $6 | play -t raw -r 24k -e signed-integer --buffer 10240 -b 16 -c 1 - compand 0.003,0.0135 -80,-40,-60,-30,-40,-20,0,0 1 2>/dev/zero & For in the new 'helpers' form. Using that to listen to the coversity network here.

What changes do you propose?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You get exactly the same amount of control over the code in a Github account. No-one can push changes to your version, unless you let them - but normally they'd push their changes to their own fork, and send you a pull request that allows you to merge whichever bits you like. You also get the benefit that folk can comment or raise issues, including pointing out lines of code, etc.

That only helps me send you changes. It doesn't help me integrate your latest. I'm unwilling to invest in adding to your code if I can't benefit from your future improvements as easily.

I might just write a new one from scratch anyhow.

Once you open your source, no version numbering system works because you can always get forks. Git handles that scenario perfectly, which is why it's the biggest such system in the world.

Mainly, a UI that doesn't suck :). I can't figure your one out, even after reading the code (maybe the latest is better?). I would implement as a web app (displaying waterfalls using Canvas).

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

On a sunny day (Fri, 30 Jan 2015 13:49:38 +1100) it happened Clifford Heath wrote in :

Well, I have written it as a tool to help me test some transmittahs I'm building. Normally I only develop soft when I use it. Already spend too much time on this. When I play with it I am sure I find new features and maybe add those. You do not have to start from scratch, just copy whatever you like or understand, maybe if you are polite and into politically correct mention something like: 'This is based on xpsa (optional version number) by Jan Panteltje (link) and sucked so much I decided to do a complete re-write that as you can see is the best thing since sliced bread, I am the greatest this is my latest etc etc'. I NEVER understood how Linus can handle Linux, neither do I understand the git of hubs, he sure must have something incredible to handle all those egos, I cannot. Its fun if somebody uses part of your code I think. If I accidently come across it if you forget to inform me I may steal some ideas back..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje