Released some simple Linux PCcommand line program to take care of prescalers for the freq_pic project

Released some simple Linux PC command line program to take care of prescalers for the freq_pic project. when experimenting with all different prescalers connected to the PIC RS232 frequency counter, it sort of seemed useful to be able to add any multipliers on the command line:

So, for example one can now, in case of a 1:8 and 1:256 prescaler in series, type: freq256 -d /dev/ttyUSB0 -p 256 -p 8 and the frequency will be correctly displayed

I wrote this while waiting for my prescalers to arrive, so YMMV ;-)

Anyways it shows some ideas, works here.

Also I added commas to the frequency display so I can actually read it:

11,718,750 Hz (for 11.718750 MHz)

3,000,000,000 Hz (for 3 GHz)

Of course the accuracy of freq_pic is not so that the last digits have any meaning.

Output goes to stdout, so you can log in an easy way, maybe use 'tee' or 'tail' to monitor.

You can invoke the -p flag with different prescalers as many times as you like, as long as those do integer division...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

PS and of course I now also added a freqency offset, very nice to have.

On a sunny day (Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:58:06 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

for the freq_pic project.

frequency counter,

type:

meaning.