Reg 12 iron w/ speed control

I want to use a cheap 12V soldering iron for field repairs but most of these are high wattage (60W) for automotive use. What would be the best way to manually adjust, eg. lower, the wattage for PCB work?

I am thinking to use a PWM type motor speed control sold as a kit. Has anyone done this or can make suggestions?

Thank you,

Robert Cameron

Reply to
Robert Cameron

Butane powered iron.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

"Robert Cameron"

** A 60 watt iron is far too big and heavy and will have a tip far too big for doing fine PCB work.

Fine tipped, 12 volt irons are available.

** Stupid idea.

The 60W iron is simply TOO BIG - not too hot.

Fool !!

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I didn't say "fine". And tips can be modified anyway.

Sure, like the Weller at 10x the price and with no adjustable temp control.

Not if it works for my purpose. So will it, or not? That was my question.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Cameron

"Robert Cameron"

** Weller irons have *constant* temp control by use of special Curie point tips. 12 volt, 40 W irons sell for under $10 that will do most light duty work.
** And my answer was NO.

A 60W ( unregulated temp) iron is simply TOO BIG to use - not too HOT.

Its running temp will be very similar to a lower powered model.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I'm not familiar with 12V soldering irons, so bear with me. I'm assuming that they will work on AC. If this is the case, try using a light dimmer connected to a the primary of a 12.6V filament transformer. I think Radio shack still sells these. Regards, Jon

Reply to
jd_lark

You could buy a cordless iron for about fifty bucks:

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise