Recommendation for low data rate wireless protocol with good field penetration

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with something similar to this?

I'm looking at finding a solution to a problem where I need to be able to remotely send a small amount of data (8-10 Bytes) to a sealed box which could potentially be buried under 300mm of water/concrete/soil. Ideally I'd like to be able to send this data from 50-100m away from the box.

I had looked at some low frequency magnetic transmission techniques which appears to have good field penetration through non-ferrous materials, but most of the info I can find on this is for very short range PAN type applications. Attenuation of the signal seems to be very large over a relatively short distance. I wonder can this be scaled up to the distances I'm talking about?

I also looked at VLF data transmission similar to what is being touted for communications down mines etc. I aim to get some pieces of hardware to have a play around with this and do some experimentation to see how it performs,

Does anybody else have any ideas as to what may be out there that I haven't considered?

rgds

PFITZ

modulate one of these

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Mart>modulate one of these

They say chicks don't dig nerds. They also say chicks dig a guy with a sense of humor. I'm guessing Martin overcame Point 1 via Point 2. 8-)

Reply to
JeffM

I have no idea on how to reply to your post.

Is that good?

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Mart>I have no idea on how to reply to your post.

Show my post to your gal and see what she says.

Reply to
JeffM

My Tek2215 doesn't have a keyboard

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

I thought he was talking about one of these:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

nope, was thinking of the one from "Dune" The OP wanted to send a few bytes through loads of concrete, I was suggesting that a sonic solution might be the answer. They may have something similar on submarines

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith