Rechargeable "AA" Lithium Ion

Are there any name brand "AA" or "AAA" Lithium ion cells on the market that can be RECHARGED?

Or anyhting that looks roughly like good quality. Please advise source for cells and charger.

All I can find are Chinese ones on eBay.

Mark Hopkins

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

It would be a rather strange package for a Li-Ion battery, since the voltage would be all wrong for the appliance. Without knowing what any given stupid company might do, I'd guess that they don't exist.

NiMH? NiCD?

Reply to
krw

"Mark Hopkins"

** And that is all you will find.

The major brands are not supplying them cos there are too many hazards with consumers using them - as they have triple the voltage of other rechargeable AA and AAA cells and will catch fire if over charged.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

These are best of a bad bunch

Perhaps you can use low self discharge NiMH? These work well:

David Eather
** Why change your name every time you post ?

In recent days you have also been " Bob Morris", " Martin Evans" and " Karl Roberts" .

Damn silly thing to do.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

No, Like others posted they are different voltage and require special charging considerations. Are you looking for shelf life? or capacity? In the NiMH lineup, Eneloop for shelf life or any other SANYO battery for capacity.

Martin Riddle

NEITHER ! :) Lithium

Reply to
TTman

Would you consider Tenergy a name brand? If so, there are some here:

They are also available without solder tabs, but only with a flat top, not with button top:

The important question is: What properties of the Li-ion batteries is it that you are interested in?

Since you specify physical size, I suspect you want to replace NiCd or NiMh cells with Li? In that case, the different voltage would need to be considered, but also the different voltage discharge curve. Ni batteries have a fairly constant voltage all the way down to empty, while Li batteries have a voltage that varies quite a bit between fully charged and empty.

--
RoRo
Reply to

I meant *USE* NiMH or NiCd. LiIon is a non-starter.

Reply to
krw

AW brand is the best in the high-end flashlight community. I keep the CR123 sized versions in my pocket rockets:

I'll assume you know what you are doing with them.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

What would make sense would be a lithium cell that is twice the length but = the same diameter as an AA cell (2AA?). These could replace a pair of AA ce= lls in flashlights and the voltage wouldn't be substantially higher. The hi= gher energy density would be a definite plus for flashlight applications.

Reply to
A.Nonny Mouse

same diameter as an AA cell (2AA?). These could replace a pair of AA cells in flashlights and the voltage wouldn't be substantially higher. The higher energy density would be a definite plus for flashlight applications.

Many flashlights use "undervoltage" lamps (e.g. 2.4V on a two-cell unit) and rely on the source impedance of the cells to limit the actual voltage at the lamp. Apart from its higher full-charge voltage of 4.2V, a single Li-Ion would have a lower internal resistance than carbon-zinc dry cells where this practice originated, and your poor

2.4V lamp would die a horrible death within seconds.

As a parallel example, many flashlights taking the 6V batteries (4F) use a 4.8V bulb. When retrofitting these flashlights with 6V SLA batteries, bulb like is very short - measured in minutes - and employing 6V bulbs is an absolute necessity.

Replacing three NiCd or NiMH cells with a single Li-Ion gives a very good match, but for alkaline or carbon-zinc it isn't practical.

Reply to
who where