" Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "

Hi fellows . I am doing a project of " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients
 using Wifi " .

I would like to know how can ESP8266 wifi module transmit the analog record
ed signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display that signal d
igitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through this wifi modul
e by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basically , to di
splay that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface on a laptop/
pc.

If somebody help me with the proper Arduino code , hardware & software sche
matics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...

I am unable to understand the circuit diagram of this project , and the mai
n problem in this project is transmission of analog signal using arduino &
a wifi module ...

Instead of ESP8266 wifi module , can i use bluetooth module with arduino fo
r transmission of ECG signal ...

Can somebody give me any suggestions !!

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
:
ts using Wifi " .
rded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display that signal
 digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through this wifi mod
ule by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basically , to
display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface on a lapto
p/pc.
hematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...
ain problem in this project is transmission of analog signal using arduino
& a wifi module ...
for transmission of ECG signal ...

Your question is a bit vague, but I suppose that is because you are just ge
tting started and have no understanding of any of the details?

Can you share the circuit diagram you are working with?  Do you at least ap
preciate that you will need to convert the analog signal to digital and you
 need to do a lot of (mostly analog) signal conditioning?

Throw us a bone.  This sounds a lot like a school project.  Many here will
be glad to help you, but only if you show you are doing most of the work yo
urself... or at least getting started on your own.

Rick C.

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 5:23:27 PM UTC+5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
te:
ents using Wifi " .
corded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display that sign
al digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through this wifi m
odule by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basically , t
o display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface on a lap
top/pc.
schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...
 main problem in this project is transmission of analog signal using arduin
o & a wifi module ...
o for transmission of ECG signal ...
getting started and have no understanding of any of the details?
appreciate that you will need to convert the analog signal to digital and y
ou need to do a lot of (mostly analog) signal conditioning?
l be glad to help you, but only if you show you are doing most of the work
yourself... or at least getting started on your own.

I am using AD8232 ECG sensor ... Yeah , i think there will be converion of
analog to digital signal in this project ... The main issue i thin k is the
 transmission of ECG signal from Arduino to another PC on a Graphical User
Interface in real time to display the ECG signal in graphical form !

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
rote:
tients using Wifi " .
[...]

Well wifi doesn't transmit analogue afaik, so I'm pretty sure there's going
 to be A->D. It does sound like you want someone else to do the project.

NT

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
Patients using Wifi " .
[...]

I don't want someone else to do my project. I want someone to guide me abou
t this A>D conversion & transmission of that digital data into graphical fo
rm in real time on a pc/laptop

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
[snip]

OK. So step one is get the basic hardware capture of the waveform
working locally. You could try googling to find more info eg.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ad8232-heart-rate-monitor-hookup-guide

I expect there are others for popular platforms. I have a sneaky feeling
you are supposed to be developing new code from scratch to do this.

Transferring it in realtime to a PC (or near realtime) may prove
challenging if you are not allowed to buffer it and send in bursts.

Displaying it on a remote PC is a separate part of the problem.

The easiest way to do it depends on the tools you have available.

Martin Brown

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
:
ts using Wifi " .
rded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display that signal
 digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through this wifi mod
ule by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basically , to
display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface on a lapto
p/pc.
hematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...
ain problem in this project is transmission of analog signal using arduino
& a wifi module ...
for transmission of ECG signal ...

School project or work project?  how much time?
If you don't know what to do it's often best to separate the problem
into many smaller pieces.
Input/convert data, transmit data, display data.
You can start with any piece.
Do you have any experience with any of that?

George H.

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
te:
ents using Wifi " .
corded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display that sign
al digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through this wifi m
odule by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basically , t
o display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface on a lap
top/pc.
schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...
 main problem in this project is transmission of analog signal using arduin
o & a wifi module ...
o for transmission of ECG signal ...

Work project. I really want to know the A>D conversion of ECG signal in thi
s case & the transmission of that digital data on another pc through wifi.
Can someone tell me about this ?

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 11:28:57 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot
e:
rote:
tients using Wifi " .
recorded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display that si
gnal digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through this wifi
 module by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basically ,
 to display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface on a l
aptop/pc.
e schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...
he main problem in this project is transmission of analog signal using ardu
ino & a wifi module ...
ino for transmission of ECG signal ...
his case & the transmission of that digital data on another pc through wifi
. Can someone tell me about this ?

Ok, the easy way to do this is to use as much existing hardware and softwar
e as possible.  I know the EKG signal (sorry, ECG - I'm old school, they st
arted with the German abbreviation and I forget to say ECG now) doesn't hav
e a very wide bandwidth, so will fit fine in an audio signal.  You can use
any device that will transmit audio over WiFi such as a Raspberry-Pi (rPi)
or perhaps a much smaller and lower power single chip device like they sell
 for Bluetooth, but with WiFi instead (I think I've seen these on eBay, but
 not certain).  An rPi-W is pretty small even if it needs a hundred mA or s
o to power it.

Then you only have to write the app software on the PC and design a front e
nd to isolate, amplify and filter the probe signals.  I was going to say yo
u won't need to use an ADC chip but the r-Pi only has a single channel of A
DC.  So maybe you'll need your ADC chip, I expect it has some specialized h
ardware to make the other needs easier to design.

Rick C.

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 11:09:55 PM UTC+5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
ote:
Patients using Wifi " .
[...]

Thanks a lot

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
:
e:
f Patients using Wifi " .
[...]

A couple of the small wi-fi devices on eBay (and other places) are the ESP-
8266 and ESP-01.  The ESP-01 is a more capable and secure device but will u
se more power.  I don't know that they actually use much less power than an
 rPi-W but they should.  They will be a little harder to program than an rP
i, but a lot of the grunt work has been done in terms of getting started.
The ESP-8266 in particular has quite the community even if nothing like the
 rPi.  I don't recall what they have for analog I/O, but I think it is at l
east multichannel if not any more precision than 10 bits.  So you might sti
ll be using your ADC.

Once you start designing hardware, this is a good group to get advice on mi
nimizing noise which will be one of your biggest problems.

Rick C.

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
onsdag den 3. oktober 2018 kl. 20.35.03 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
:
te:
ote:
 of Patients using Wifi " .
nalog recorded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display t
hat signal digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through thi
s wifi module by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basic
ally , to display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface
on a laptop/pc.
oftware schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...
 and the main problem in this project is transmission of analog signal usin
g arduino & a wifi module ...
h arduino for transmission of ECG signal ...
lem
[...]

ESP8266 has a 0-1V 10 bit adc, but it also has spi and i2c

for simple things it is extremely simple because it is supported by the
arduino software all you need is a ttl level serial port

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 3:24:26 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christens
om:
rote:
ng of Patients using Wifi " .
 analog recorded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display
 that signal digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through t
his wifi module by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... bas
ically , to display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interfac
e on a laptop/pc.
 software schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...
 , and the main problem in this project is transmission of analog signal us
ing arduino & a wifi module ...
ith arduino for transmission of ECG signal ...
oblem
[...]

I haven't worked with it but I read the major difference between this and t
he ESP-01 is security.  It seems the ESP8266 was not designed with security
 in mind so might not be a good choice for medical applications.

Rick C.

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
onsdag den 3. oktober 2018 kl. 22.00.44 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
:
.com:
ring of Patients using Wifi " .
he analog recorded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then displ
ay that signal digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through
 this wifi module by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... b
asically , to display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interf
ace on a laptop/pc.
 & software schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...
ct , and the main problem in this project is transmission of analog signal
using arduino & a wifi module ...
 with arduino for transmission of ECG signal ...
problem
[...]

the only ESP-01 I know of is the most common board with a ESP8266 on it

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 4:10:15 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christens
om:
il.com:
toring of Patients using Wifi " .
 the analog recorded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then dis
play that signal digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) throu
gh this wifi module by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ...
 basically , to display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Inte
rface on a laptop/pc.
re & software schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...
ject , and the main problem in this project is transmission of analog signa
l using arduino & a wifi module ...
le with arduino for transmission of ECG signal ...
e problem
[...]
he
nd the ESP-01 is security.  It seems the ESP8266 was not designed with secu
rity in mind so might not be a good choice for medical applications.

Thank you for catching that.  I meant the ESP32.  This is a faster dual CPU
 with encryption hardware, but from the same folks as the ESP8266.

Rick C.

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "

Something else to consider is how the requirements for your project fit
in with readily available commercial devices that you might be able to
adapt.  That way, you might reduce the number of areas where you have
to start from the beginning.

For example, what is the frequency range of your ECG signal and what
range of signal levels do you need to transmit?  How does this compare
with the performance of existing products that transmit audio over
WiFi or Bluetooth.  If they don't quite match can you adapt them so
that they do?  Will they distort the ECG in a way that matters?

If this is a "school" project, then the most important question to
answer is: "What does the examiner want?"

You will almost certainly have been given some strong hints about
this.  Think about how marks will be allocated for different parts
of the project and avoid spending too much time on the parts that
are most fun at the expense of getting marks from other parts.

Keep notes about how you made your design choices so you can include
them in your report.  That way you can get marks for things that
may not have been fully completed.

John

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "

Ok thanks

Re: " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "
On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 04:58:14 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

With all due respect, it is not a great idea to propose an
implementation solution before you define what you are trying to
accomplish and before you review how others have accomplished the same
or similar thing.

Note that most wireless cardiac monitors already use the 2.4Ghz wi-fi
band for telemetry from 2400.96 to 2482.56MHz.  There is also a 608.48
- 631.52MHz band available, but with fewer and narrower channels.
However, these do NOT use 802.11b/g/n spread spectrum modulation. They
use FM modulation and 80KHz wide channels on 600Mhz, and 320KHz wide
channels on 2.4GHz (about 256 channels).  The modulation is analog
done with multiple V/F (voltage to frequency) converters crammed into
the channel bandwidth.  The V/F converters are inside the remote
monitor.  The modulation frequencies are demodulated in the receiver,
and somehow converted to a digital format that can be displayed,
stored, and recorded.  The reason for doing it that way is the system
should be able to handle 256 transmitters, each with up to 10 cables
and contacts.  256 wi-fi transmitters in a single room will probably
not work.

A few years ago, I had the displeasure of having the two stents
installed in my heart, which entitled me to take rehab classes. During
rehab, I would beat myself up on various exercise machines while
wearing one of these heart monitors.  I think it was a Mortara
Instruments X12P-2500 (FCC ID: HJR-X12P-2500) (now part of Hill-Rom
Holdings).  Here's the FCC ID page which has some good info on device:
<https://fccid.io/HJR-X12P-2500
Looks like no block diagram or schematic, but at least they have a
user manual:
<https://fccid.io/HJR-X12P-2500/Users-Manual/Manual-490116

Wi-Fi is not a good solution.  All 802.11 type wi-fi does is
encapsulate 802.3 ethernet packets inside 802.11 wireless packets,
deliver them to a similar wi-fi device, which then converts them back
to ethernet packets.  In other words, a wireless bridge.  If you don't
have ethernet packets to start with, then wi-fi is an added complexity
that you probably don't need or want.

All the aforementioned involve ethernet or wi-fi, which I consider
superfluous.  Keep it simple.  In a 230Khz bandwidth, you can probably
cram 5 channels (up to 10 sensors, some wired as differential) into
this space at about 20 KHz/channel.  So, you have 5 V/F converters (or
one DSP chip) and 5 channels running at (for example)
  10 ->  30KHz
  35 ->  55KHz
  60 ->  80KHz
  85 -> 105KHz
 110 -> 130KHz
or something like that.  These "tones" are transmitted by an analog FM
2.4GHz transmitter with a 256 channel synthesizer.  See bottom of
XP12P user manual for available frequencies.  The FM modulated signals
are received by an FM receiver, which demodulates each "tone", and
converts them to a digital words using a simple digital counter (or a
DSP chip).  Once in digital format, you can feed the data to a
computah through a multiplexor and draw pretty pictures on the screen.
Note that there are other modulation formats that could be used
effectively, but a V/F is probably the simplest.
<http://www.analog.com/en/parametricsearch/11006>
<http://web.mit.edu/6.101/www/s2014/projects/jbmaswan_Project_Final_Report.pdf
This is really ancient technology.  There are probably patents
available with more details.

Good luck and feel free to ask if something isn't clear.