" Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi "

Hi fellows . I am doing a project of " Real time ECG monitoring of Patients using Wifi " .

I would like to know how can ESP8266 wifi module transmit the analog record ed signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display that signal d igitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through this wifi modul e by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basically , to di splay that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface on a laptop/ pc.

If somebody help me with the proper Arduino code , hardware & software sche matics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...

I am unable to understand the circuit diagram of this project , and the mai n problem in this project is transmission of analog signal using arduino & a wifi module ...

Instead of ESP8266 wifi module , can i use bluetooth module with arduino fo r transmission of ECG signal ...

Can somebody give me any suggestions !!

Reply to
mukhtar1042

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 7:58:18 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

ts using Wifi " .

rded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display that signal digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through this wifi mod ule by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basically , to display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface on a lapto p/pc.

hematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...

ain problem in this project is transmission of analog signal using arduino & a wifi module ...

for transmission of ECG signal ...

Your question is a bit vague, but I suppose that is because you are just ge tting started and have no understanding of any of the details?

Can you share the circuit diagram you are working with? Do you at least ap preciate that you will need to convert the analog signal to digital and you need to do a lot of (mostly analog) signal conditioning?

Throw us a bone. This sounds a lot like a school project. Many here will be glad to help you, but only if you show you are doing most of the work yo urself... or at least getting started on your own.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

te:

ents using Wifi " .

corded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display that sign al digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through this wifi m odule by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basically , t o display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface on a lap top/pc.

schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...

main problem in this project is transmission of analog signal using arduin o & a wifi module ...

o for transmission of ECG signal ...

getting started and have no understanding of any of the details?

appreciate that you will need to convert the analog signal to digital and y ou need to do a lot of (mostly analog) signal conditioning?

l be glad to help you, but only if you show you are doing most of the work yourself... or at least getting started on your own.

I am using AD8232 ECG sensor ... Yeah , i think there will be converion of analog to digital signal in this project ... The main issue i thin k is the transmission of ECG signal from Arduino to another PC on a Graphical User Interface in real time to display the ECG signal in graphical form !

Reply to
mukhtar1042

rote:

tients using Wifi " .

[...]

Well wifi doesn't transmit analogue afaik, so I'm pretty sure there's going to be A->D. It does sound like you want someone else to do the project.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Patients using Wifi " .

[...]

I don't want someone else to do my project. I want someone to guide me abou t this A>D conversion & transmission of that digital data into graphical fo rm in real time on a pc/laptop

Reply to
mukhtar1042

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 7:58:18 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

ts using Wifi " .

rded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display that signal digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through this wifi mod ule by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basically , to display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface on a lapto p/pc.

hematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...

ain problem in this project is transmission of analog signal using arduino & a wifi module ...

for transmission of ECG signal ...

School project or work project? how much time? If you don't know what to do it's often best to separate the problem into many smaller pieces. Input/convert data, transmit data, display data. You can start with any piece. Do you have any experience with any of that?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

te:

ents using Wifi " .

corded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display that sign al digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through this wifi m odule by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basically , t o display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface on a lap top/pc.

schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...

main problem in this project is transmission of analog signal using arduin o & a wifi module ...

o for transmission of ECG signal ...

Work project. I really want to know the A>D conversion of ECG signal in thi s case & the transmission of that digital data on another pc through wifi. Can someone tell me about this ?

Reply to
mukhtar1042

[snip]

OK. So step one is get the basic hardware capture of the waveform working locally. You could try googling to find more info eg.

I expect there are others for popular platforms. I have a sneaky feeling you are supposed to be developing new code from scratch to do this.

Transferring it in realtime to a PC (or near realtime) may prove challenging if you are not allowed to buffer it and send in bursts.

Displaying it on a remote PC is a separate part of the problem.

The easiest way to do it depends on the tools you have available.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Something else to consider is how the requirements for your project fit in with readily available commercial devices that you might be able to adapt. That way, you might reduce the number of areas where you have to start from the beginning.

For example, what is the frequency range of your ECG signal and what range of signal levels do you need to transmit? How does this compare with the performance of existing products that transmit audio over WiFi or Bluetooth. If they don't quite match can you adapt them so that they do? Will they distort the ECG in a way that matters?

If this is a "school" project, then the most important question to answer is: "What does the examiner want?"

You will almost certainly have been given some strong hints about this. Think about how marks will be allocated for different parts of the project and avoid spending too much time on the parts that are most fun at the expense of getting marks from other parts.

Keep notes about how you made your design choices so you can include them in your report. That way you can get marks for things that may not have been fully completed.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Ok thanks

Reply to
mukhtar1042

rote:

tients using Wifi " .

recorded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display that si gnal digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through this wifi module by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basically , to display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface on a l aptop/pc.

e schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...

he main problem in this project is transmission of analog signal using ardu ino & a wifi module ...

ino for transmission of ECG signal ...

his case & the transmission of that digital data on another pc through wifi . Can someone tell me about this ?

Ok, the easy way to do this is to use as much existing hardware and softwar e as possible. I know the EKG signal (sorry, ECG - I'm old school, they st arted with the German abbreviation and I forget to say ECG now) doesn't hav e a very wide bandwidth, so will fit fine in an audio signal. You can use any device that will transmit audio over WiFi such as a Raspberry-Pi (rPi) or perhaps a much smaller and lower power single chip device like they sell for Bluetooth, but with WiFi instead (I think I've seen these on eBay, but not certain). An rPi-W is pretty small even if it needs a hundred mA or s o to power it.

Then you only have to write the app software on the PC and design a front e nd to isolate, amplify and filter the probe signals. I was going to say yo u won't need to use an ADC chip but the r-Pi only has a single channel of A DC. So maybe you'll need your ADC chip, I expect it has some specialized h ardware to make the other needs easier to design.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

ote:

Patients using Wifi " .

[...]

Thanks a lot

Reply to
mukhtar1042

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 2:28:26 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

e:

f Patients using Wifi " .

[...]

A couple of the small wi-fi devices on eBay (and other places) are the ESP-

8266 and ESP-01. The ESP-01 is a more capable and secure device but will u se more power. I don't know that they actually use much less power than an rPi-W but they should. They will be a little harder to program than an rP i, but a lot of the grunt work has been done in terms of getting started. The ESP-8266 in particular has quite the community even if nothing like the rPi. I don't recall what they have for analog I/O, but I think it is at l east multichannel if not any more precision than 10 bits. So you might sti ll be using your ADC.

Once you start designing hardware, this is a good group to get advice on mi nimizing noise which will be one of your biggest problems.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

onsdag den 3. oktober 2018 kl. 20.35.03 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com :

te:

ote:

of Patients using Wifi " .

nalog recorded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display t hat signal digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through thi s wifi module by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basic ally , to display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interface on a laptop/pc.

oftware schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...

and the main problem in this project is transmission of analog signal usin g arduino & a wifi module ...

h arduino for transmission of ECG signal ...

lem

[...]

ESP8266 has a 0-1V 10 bit adc, but it also has spi and i2c

for simple things it is extremely simple because it is supported by the arduino software all you need is a ttl level serial port

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

om:

rote:

ng of Patients using Wifi " .

analog recorded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then display that signal digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through t his wifi module by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... bas ically , to display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interfac e on a laptop/pc.

software schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...

, and the main problem in this project is transmission of analog signal us ing arduino & a wifi module ...

ith arduino for transmission of ECG signal ...

oblem

[...]

I haven't worked with it but I read the major difference between this and t he ESP-01 is security. It seems the ESP8266 was not designed with security in mind so might not be a good choice for medical applications.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

onsdag den 3. oktober 2018 kl. 22.00.44 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com :

.com:

ring of Patients using Wifi " .

he analog recorded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then displ ay that signal digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) through this wifi module by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... b asically , to display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Interf ace on a laptop/pc.

& software schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...

ct , and the main problem in this project is transmission of analog signal using arduino & a wifi module ...

with arduino for transmission of ECG signal ...

problem

[...]

the only ESP-01 I know of is the most common board with a ESP8266 on it

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

om:

il.com:

toring of Patients using Wifi " .

the analog recorded signal of the ECG of any patient wirelessly & then dis play that signal digitally ( In form of Graph ... Proper ECG signal ) throu gh this wifi module by using a server, on another Laptop/Android mobile ... basically , to display that ECG signal acquired onto a Graphical User Inte rface on a laptop/pc.

re & software schematics , Circuit diagram , proper connections ...

ject , and the main problem in this project is transmission of analog signa l using arduino & a wifi module ...

le with arduino for transmission of ECG signal ...

e problem

[...]

he

nd the ESP-01 is security. It seems the ESP8266 was not designed with secu rity in mind so might not be a good choice for medical applications.

Thank you for catching that. I meant the ESP32. This is a faster dual CPU with encryption hardware, but from the same folks as the ESP8266.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

With all due respect, it is not a great idea to propose an implementation solution before you define what you are trying to accomplish and before you review how others have accomplished the same or similar thing.

Note that most wireless cardiac monitors already use the 2.4Ghz wi-fi band for telemetry from 2400.96 to 2482.56MHz. There is also a 608.48

- 631.52MHz band available, but with fewer and narrower channels. However, these do NOT use 802.11b/g/n spread spectrum modulation. They use FM modulation and 80KHz wide channels on 600Mhz, and 320KHz wide channels on 2.4GHz (about 256 channels). The modulation is analog done with multiple V/F (voltage to frequency) converters crammed into the channel bandwidth. The V/F converters are inside the remote monitor. The modulation frequencies are demodulated in the receiver, and somehow converted to a digital format that can be displayed, stored, and recorded. The reason for doing it that way is the system should be able to handle 256 transmitters, each with up to 10 cables and contacts. 256 wi-fi transmitters in a single room will probably not work.

A few years ago, I had the displeasure of having the two stents installed in my heart, which entitled me to take rehab classes. During rehab, I would beat myself up on various exercise machines while wearing one of these heart monitors. I think it was a Mortara Instruments X12P-2500 (FCC ID: HJR-X12P-2500) (now part of Hill-Rom Holdings). Here's the FCC ID page which has some good info on device: Looks like no block diagram or schematic, but at least they have a user manual:

Wi-Fi is not a good solution. All 802.11 type wi-fi does is encapsulate 802.3 ethernet packets inside 802.11 wireless packets, deliver them to a similar wi-fi device, which then converts them back to ethernet packets. In other words, a wireless bridge. If you don't have ethernet packets to start with, then wi-fi is an added complexity that you probably don't need or want.

All the aforementioned involve ethernet or wi-fi, which I consider superfluous. Keep it simple. In a 230Khz bandwidth, you can probably cram 5 channels (up to 10 sensors, some wired as differential) into this space at about 20 KHz/channel. So, you have 5 V/F converters (or one DSP chip) and 5 channels running at (for example) 10 -> 30KHz 35 -> 55KHz 60 -> 80KHz 85 -> 105KHz 110 -> 130KHz or something like that. These "tones" are transmitted by an analog FM

2.4GHz transmitter with a 256 channel synthesizer. See bottom of XP12P user manual for available frequencies. The FM modulated signals are received by an FM receiver, which demodulates each "tone", and converts them to a digital words using a simple digital counter (or a DSP chip). Once in digital format, you can feed the data to a computah through a multiplexor and draw pretty pictures on the screen. Note that there are other modulation formats that could be used effectively, but a V/F is probably the simplest. This is really ancient technology. There are probably patents available with more details.

Good luck and feel free to ask if something isn't clear.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com