Ready-made Ethernet controller module for MII PHY interface

Does anyone know of any ethernet modules that would be able to communcate with this:

It can be configured for MII/GPSI PHY or MII Host/DTE host interface. I've found some on Google, i just want to know if any of you have any experience with such modules and would recommend any?

Reply to
Ant_Magma

Most of i found has SPI interface. Do any of you know any with MII interface?

Reply to
Ant_Magma

What you're looking for is an "ethernet phy evaluation" board.

A google search turned up a bunch. The ones from the chip makers can be expensive, but the ones for things like the DSTINI are reasonably priced.

Reply to
ghelbig

Thanks, but in alot of these i do not see the word MII mentioned in their descriptions. Is it compatible with my Belfuse module?

Reply to
Ant_Magma

Thanks, but in alot of these i do not see the word MII mentioned in their descriptions. I don't think it's compatible with my Belfuse module.

There this website

they have an array of ethernet modules. However they uses SPI to communicate to the uC. I'm not very knowleageble in these kind of things, but is there a way to convert SPI to MII?

Reply to
Ant_Magma

You will find that some Ethernet controllers have an MII output on them. For example, the ASIX AX88796L on the EDTP website. You still need to interface the MCU with the Ethernet controller, but instead of using the built-in PHY for the copper Ethernet connection you can use the MII output for an alternate media (e.g., fiber).

In other words, you need to check the data sheets of the Ethernet controllers.

Cheers, Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

Look again.

99.9% of the ethernet phy-only chips are MII on the digital side. SPI is actually the rare case.
Reply to
ghelbig

Fred Eady's boards on

looks great.

I've emailed him and he has confirmed that only the NICholas version with the AX88796L has MII connection. However, based on AX88796L 's datasheet and the picture of the board on the website, it seems that the MII connection pins are not used.

I've tried googling looking for boards similar to Fred's but to no avail. I used terms such as MII PHY transceiver, Ethernet PHY module etc. Any ideas?

Reply to
Ant_Magma

Aha. Yes, I concur, the MII pins are not extended on that board.

You should ask Fred nicely if he still has any of his original ASIX proto boards. They wire (nearly) every pin to a contact pad. That board will do what you want. (The pads are on the left side, and are labeled with their alternate printer port function.)

If not, you could persuade him to do a mod for you on NICholas and hand-solder a few "flying wires" to the MII pins. I convinced him to do that a couple times on the old board (for an address line that was hard-wired).

The original ASIX proto board was tied to an article he wrote on it for Circuit Cellar 3-4 years ago, and he's got AVR drivers on the website for it. Again, maybe by request now.

The ASIX has a register to select the integrated PHY or the external MII. Once that selector's switched you can talk to the MII powerline module through the ASIX to set its options before activating the ASIX controller.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

Thanks Richard. But he haven't replied my previous email, so i don't know how he thinks about my request. Can i mention your name in my next email to him?

I have actually ordered parts to build my own Ethernet module based on Micrel's KS8721B PHY transceivers, single layer only. However i was told that to build a Ethernet module with only single layer is impossible. Thus, with my limited knowledge and pressing deadline i don't think i can make it, that's why i'm looking for ready-made Ethernet MII modules.

If you know any other company that produces the similar thing as Fred Eady's with MII connection i would appreaciate if you let me know. Thanks.

Reply to
Ant_Magma

:-) I'm flattered, but it wouldn't do any good. I'd be impressed if he even remembered my order.

Have you asked Belfuse if they have a dev kit for the powerline PHY?

I'd agree that making a single-layer Ethernet proto board will be nearly impossible. It's hard enough to get working (not just laid out) with 2 layers. And if you're pressed for time you don't want to be trying to figure out hardware problems on Ethernet. I had a bugger of a problem and ended up having to blindly re-spin the board hoping I'd fixed the problem. (Got lucky.)

I'm not aware of anyone else offering boards like Fred's. ASIX is one of only 3-4 non-PCI controllers, and I'm fairly certain the others don't have MII. Then, the liklihood of finding someone offering that chip on a proto board with the MII pins extended is practically nil.

However... if you have the capability to make your own board, presumably you can solder fine-pitch chips? If so, why not add the flying wires to the MII pins on NICholas yourself?

Mostly I've seen MII interfaces as outputs on MCU's with integrated Ethernet, such as the Freescale Coldfire. If you haven't picked an MCU yet, that could be an option. But if you haven't picked an MCU or Ethernet controller yet (or started writing drivers, etc.), you're a long way from a working proto.

What kind of a deadline are you up against? Maybe someone here could do the mod for you if Fred's not available.

Cheers, Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

No, they say they do not even have any reference designs or application notes available.

I'm very hard pressed for time, around 3 weeks. I did not know building an ethernet module is so hard.

I think extending the NICholas pins could be possible.

Reply to
Ant_Magma

While i try to pursuade Fred, in the mean time does anyone know how to build an ethernet module with just top n bottom 2 layers?

Reply to
Ant_Magma

Going back to this comment, what does this PHY have to do with your project, and what were you going to connect this part to? It's a 10/100 copper PHY, and seems out of place unless you're trying to tie the two PHYs together through MII to make a converter. I don't know if this is possible (maybe; if so, this could be technically much simpler).

Perhaps you could explain what you're trying to achieve... The original post seemed like you're trying to create that connects to powerline networking. It also seems like you're focused on testing / proof-of-concept for the powerline technology.

If you connect the PHY to an Ethernet controller, it needs a CPU, and the CPU needs driver software, a protocol stack, and an application to be useful. All that plus a PCB design is a considerable project, and you need at least 2 working units for an end-to-end connection.

Pardon the bluntness, but you're headed for failure if you try to tackle this from scratch in 3 weeks, having not selected a microcontroller or Ethernet controller, written the software, or have a ready PCB design. To achieve your goal, the best bet is to wire modules together; the more turnkey the better.

The most turnkey option will be a dev board for a microcontroller that has integrated Ethernet with MII as it's primary output. It will likely come complete with working reference driver code, an IP protocol stack, and sample applications; you just need to supply / replace the PHY, which you have. There are several, but Freescale's Coldfire comes to mind. I'm sure you'll find a suitable dev board here:

They can be bought someplace like

The next best option would be to modify the NICholas board, and wire it between a micro of your choosing and the PHY you're testing. If you pick Atmel's AVR, and if Fred will accommodate with his old PDF docs and his published programs, you *might* get this working in 3 weeks, but probably not in your spare time.

Reply to
Richard H.

I'm trying to interface with my Belfuse powerline module mentioned in my first post. This module uses MII interface that's why i need an ethernet module that is able to communicate with the MAC in my powerline module.

The whole project is to use the Bel powerline module to communication between 2 PCs. Since the PL module supports MII/GPSI interface and MII Host/DTE interface, i need an ethernet PHY to connect the module to the both PC's network card, like this:

PC1 (network card) => Ethernet PHY => PL module => Power line => PL module => Ethernet PHY => PC2 (network card)

The powerline module contains the MAC, thus i only need to have a PHY to connect to the network card of a PC through RJ45.

My instructor assured me that no programming was required.

I should have had more time than i do now. But that's another story for another day.

I have in my possession now 2 Micrel KS8721B ethernet phy transceiver and all of its components. So now i plan to use this to build my ethernet module.

I don't think i would need an MCU right? Since my module should be able to act as an MCU? I'm new, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Reply to
Ant_Magma

Ah. You are making an Ethernet PHY converter - this should not require an Ethernet controller. (The PC's NIC is serving this function.)

From the rough info on the BelFuse site, you were headed down the right path making a simple board with the Micrel PHY. What you will end up with is PowerlineModuleMII10/100 PHYcablePC NIC.

The PCB could be simple if the pins are mirrored on the two MII devices, otherwise you'll need 2 layers to "roll" the MII signals.

Right. You'd be using the MII as the "handoff point" between the back-to-back PHY modules. The PC's Ethernet card and CPU will be doing the meaningful work.

This sounds much more viable for your timeline.

Reply to
Richard H.

You don't know how relieved i am to get an assuarance from someone else that it's possible. Thank you Richard =)

Reply to
Ant_Magma