Re: Wideband IR-C Emitting Device For Radiant Heating

A toaster?

Absolutely not. Toasters emit frequencies of EM including those outside of the IR-C spectrum.

Reply to
GreenXenon

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design From: GreenXenon Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:23:51 -0800 (PST) Subject: Wideband IR-C Emitting Device For Radiant Heating

Hi: I'm currently thinking of a hypothetical radiant heating device that emits a spectrum of EM radiation with a maximum wavelength of 100,000 nm and a minimum wavelength of 3,000 nm -- as well as any and all wavelengths in between. This is known as the Infrared-C -- or IRC -- spectrum The intensities [i.e. photons-per-second-per-square-meter] of light emitted are equal throughout the spectrum, no one wavelength is of greater or less intensity than another. This hypothetical device does not emit any wavelength of EM radiation out side of the IRC range. In addition, the emission of the IR-C light is constant, non- flickering and non-pulsatile. The shape of the panel emitting this radiation is square or rectangular depending on the application. In any case, the panel faces downward from the ceiling -- or other "top"

-- of an enclosure and emits the IR-C light downwards. The IR-C light emitted is non-polarized and incoherent.

Is it physically-possible to construct such a device? If so, does such a device already exist? If it does, where can I find it?

I=92m thinking of three applications for this theoretical device. Depending on the intensity, this IR-C could be used simulate a sunbathe, to carbonize human feces [in a septic tank], or to broil food.

In the case of the 'sunbathe', the maximum intensity of the IRC light should result in the maximum temperature one can experience without any discomfort or injury to any extent. This IRC light makes you feel like you're basking on the beach when the sun as at its highest point [~ 12:00 pm usually].

For the broiler and waste management [of human excrement], the max. intensity should result in a temperature that=92s just high-enough to reach the smoking point [carbonization temperature] of the organic material with the highest smoking point. Substances with carbon and hydrogen will emit smoke when heated to the smoking point. Different organic substances have different smoking points. Many foods taste better with a little bit of smoke. I like my cookies slightly burnt.

For basking, this lamp should be on the ceiling of the room it is in and emit downwards to the person inside the room, to give the actual feel of sunbathing. I=92m relaxed just thinking about this basking room.

For broiling, obviously, the cooking is from the top. Same for carbonizing human digestive waste. The burning is done from the top.

In addition, for broiling food and managing human colon waste, all oxygen in the broiler [or septic tank in the case of the latter] is removed to aid in the smoking/carbonization process. Following this, the broiler/septic-system is sealed for air-tightness and the panel does its work.

Unlike for broiling food [where only top of the product is carbonized], the septic tank completely carbonizes all the organic compounds in the feces throughout. Again the IR-C emitting panel is on the top of the septic tank and when the tank is full, the tank has all it=92s oxygen removed, the tank is then sealed [for air-tightness], and the IR-C panel turns on to max intensity to convert the waste into smoke and carbon. The septic tank is kept closed and sealed until what used to be crap [literally] cools down to a temperature safe for human handling. Thanks, Green Xenon

G > A toaster?

GX > Absolutely not. Toasters emit frequencies GX > of EM including those outside of the IR-C GX > spectrum.

Would that be detrimental for the tanning booth, feces incinerator or the food broiler?

Reply to
Greegor

Absolutely

Reply to
GreenXenon

probably, you just need a coating of a colour that's that reflective out of the desired passband and tinted to compensate the for the black-body radiation intensity cruve, then heat it up.

the purposes suggested are adequately catered for by radiant heatin elements.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

G > A toaster?

GX > Absolutely not. Toasters emit frequencies GX > of EM including those outside of the IR-C GX > spectrum.

G > Would that be detrimental for the tanning booth, G > feces incinerator or the food broiler?

GX > Absolutely

Why would you have such exacting standards for a feces incinerator or food broiler, GX?

Reply to
Greegor

Well, probably because you don't want to broil your feces or incinerate your food.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

G > A toaster?

GX > Absolutely not. Toasters emit frequencies GX > of EM including those outside of the IR-C GX > spectrum.

G > Would that be detrimental for the tanning booth, G > feces incinerator or the food broiler?

GX > Absolutely

G > Why would you have such exacting standards G > for a feces incinerator or food broiler, GX?

RG > Well, probably because you don't want RG > to broil your feces or incinerate your food.

Incinerating poo sounds incredibly wasteful. Even on a nuclear submarine or in space wouldn't such an energy expenditure be foolish?

Reply to
Greegor

I guess these people would be more qualified to answer that than I am:

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

G > A toaster?

GX > Absolutely not. Toasters emit frequencies GX > of EM including those outside of the IR-C GX > spectrum.

G > Would that be detrimental for the tanning booth, G > feces incinerator or the food broiler?

GX > Absolutely

G > Why would you have such exacting standards G > for a feces incinerator or food broiler, GX?

RG > Well, probably because you don't want RG > to broil your feces or incinerate your food.

G > Incinerating poo sounds incredibly wasteful. G > Even on a nuclear submarine or in space wouldn't G > such an energy expenditure be foolish?

RG > I guess these people would be more qualified to answer that than I am:

Wow! $4K for one of those!

I suppose for permafrost or super remote areas... But Green Xenon lives just up the road from San Diego California and Archie over by El Cajon!

Most of these poop burners don't look like they would meet GX's high standards to prevent incinerating the poop with the EM spectrum GX considerss to be wrong somehow.

In fact, the electric ones probably use a toaster like heating element or a calrod.

Are they burning the poop wrong, Green Xenon?

What are the negative effects of broiling a steak with the extra " EM " from a calrod, GX?

Tanning beds are kind of on their way out since somebody recently discovered that even infrequent or moderate use causes horrible problems with skin cancer.

Do you think that was due to the " EM " you so want to avoid?

If you could come up with a tanning bed that doesn't cause cancer like the ones in use now, you might really have something!

But broiling steaks and incinerating poop don't seem to be intolerant of the " EM " you are worried about.

Advantages and disadvantages

Advantages:

Uses no water Produces a fine sterile ash that can be safely disposed of Portable, simple to install, and easy to use. Can work in freezing conditions and remote areas Relatively odorless, compared to common storage outhouses and portable toilets

Disadvantages:

Incineration destroys nutrients in waste, making ash less valuable for replenishing soil Requires energy=97results in higher energy costs for users Not entirely pollution free, electric energy use leaves a carbon footprint, and gas energy use releases some air pollutants

Applications:

Rural areas where sewage systems are not practical for financial or geographic reasons. Job sites where permanent toilets are not available Marine vessels operating in areas that waste discharge is prohibited Areas where water is scarce Areas where water contamination is an issue.

Reply to
Greegor

Feed them enough hot peppers and it will self combust. ;-)

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

It's really not much of an energy expenditure, but there is a significant capital expenditure. My "poo" finds its way to the local wastewater treatment plant (along with everything else that gets flushed into the sanitary sewer). There, after bacteria and centrifuges have their way with the incoming flow, the remaining "solids" are incinerated in a state-of-the-art fluidized-bed incinerator. It uses natural gas, but only to get the process started. After it is started, there is enough energy in the solids to maintain combustion even with fairly high moisture content in the solids flow, and have enough left over to heat the municipal buildings housing the equipment, control room and offices. There is also enough heat liberated by the bacteria that no external energy needs to be used to keep the lagoons from freezing.

The post-incineration solids are inert and are stored in settling ponds (and eventually dredged out for landfill after some years). Because of the iron content, they are reddish-rust in color.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Where does the iron come from? Does your soil have a high iron content (didn't notice that when in the area)? Storm sewers connected to the sanitary sewers?

Reply to
krw

Thanks Mr. Pefhany. The weeres gently stirring ponds and floculation are all about dissolved solids, right? But incinerating poo at a central wastewater treatment facility has got to be different from incinerating at the house level.

I'm still imagining living in a house with one of those $4K units when it builds up enough of a collection that the resident fires it up and the ""soup"" begins to boil. Mmm MMmm I bet it makes the whole house smell so nice!

"What's cooking?" (looks) "Oh. ..Sorry."

I'm sure that Green Xenon's version that is designed to use Infra Red class C light and avoid any nasty EM radiation of the poo MUST make much better poo ash than simply using conventional calrod heaters.

...Somehow.

Reply to
Greegor

It's PEOPLE. Dead red blood cells in the feces.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That much? Amazing. I don't recall that color in the stuff shipped down from Chicago to Central IL.

Reply to
krw

That red triangular "lake" is around 400' on a side.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Green Xenon has already moved on to favoring a laser to incinerate poo.

Short attention span there, GX?

Reply to
Greegor

He's looking for a hi-tech way to off himself?

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

G > Green Xenon has already moved on to G > favoring a laser to incinerate poo. G >

G > Short attention span there, GX?

MAT > =A0He's looking for a hi-tech way to off himself?

Why make 8 different threads on the same subject, GX?

Reply to
Greegor

ADHD?