Re: Why did the chicken cross the road?

k...here's a really stupid variation I just made up.

Why did the chicken cross the check out scanner?

Answer: I was hungry.. :P

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Thompson's rule for economic grocery shopping: NEVER grocery shop when you're hungry ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Yup.. While on a hungry shopping trip, I bought a small box of Creme of Wheat. What was I thinkn? That was 2 years ago. I still have the box. :P I figure I might get to it in about 15 years if my teeth fall out. :P

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

That's what I call "planning ahead". I'm sure that "Creme of Wheat" will hardly be affordable by the time you retire.

F from BC :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

What sort of electronics do you do?

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Alarm systems mostly. Access control. Fire Alarm. CCTV.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I passed by the building where I recall seeing "Silent Witness" (CCTV products) some time ago. I think they're gone or moved. Then I found this..

' Surrey, BC: September 12, 2001 - Silent Witness (NASDAQ: SILW / TSE: SWE), a leading provider of video monitoring technology, announced that it has purchased the CCTV Products Division of Gyyr, Inc., including digital and analog storage solutions and network-based remote video surveillance. The purchase price totaled U.S. $8.9 million plus the assumption of U.S.$1 million in debt. This transaction couples Gyyr's proprietary recording and networking technologies with Silent Witness' distinct line of CCTV cameras. '

I have to wonder if the company flopped and sold for cheap. :P

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Don't think they "sold for cheap". Silent Witness "started" in a two-car garage. A genuine "BC grown" success that didn't involve something you roll in a bong. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Neato... I'm trying to start the same thing. Either I'll flop or become a successful company or sell the business if the deal is sweet.

I wonder what the founders of Silent Witness are doing right now? Maybe they're on the beach sipping cocktails while bikini models spread on the suntan lotion. :P

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Dunno. I haven't seen Ron (Bakshi) for ages. I do know he's not one to "rest on his laurels" though, so the beach and bikini stuff (while appealing to many of us) is probably not on his "A" list. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Ron Bakshi, Cummins Engine Company, Inc., Mail Code 14010, Box 3005, Columbus, IN. Taking care of some security issues at Cummins.

Reply to
Bill

N + 1. Gotta keep those turbine generators spinning.

Control electronics are important things to keep uninvited "operators" away from.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

I somehow doubt that he's the same one. He's still living in Surrey (AFAIK).

Reply to
Frank Olson

If he got rich from making Silent Witness, White Rock would be much more posh.

Ahh... Does Surrey still have the title of 'Car Theft Capital of North America'? The car theft is so bad.... How bad is it? ***punchline coming...*** It's so bad...The police bait cars get stolen..then abandoned and then stolen again by other car thefts. :P

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

What do you think of compressing video for transport before doing video image detection?

Reply to
JosephKK

Does that mean I have to send him home to his wife and Kids in Surrey ? How about I just let him visit on weekends ?

Reply to
Bill

I dunno. What's the application? I do know there's several emerging technologies that are going to be quite interesting to see "in action" over the next couple of years. One is a camera that records a full 360 degrees and then uses software to "zoom" in on one area or to "follow" someone through the field of view. The operator can do this in real time while the camera continues to record the full 360 degree scene.

Frank Olson

Most anything that could impact normal vehicular traffic, stopped vehicles, people, pets, fog, smoke, fire, etc.

Reply to
JosephKK