Re: Where to buy crystals?

I need a 2-pin crystal, 8.86723 (PAL video standard).

> > Where do you get these now? Seems nobody carries them, not even ham > radio shops. I'd visit a ham swap meet but I can't wait. > > I can get them from Ireland... > > 8mhz.html> > > Any sources in the States? > > Thanks. > > (I'm in N. California.)

If you must have crystals at exactly that frequency, try JAN and ICM. I haven't checked recently, but JAN pretty much always just did custom cuts, and ICM has standard and custom values.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

assumed that getting a crystal within 100ppm of tbe ideal frequency should be just fine. But when we tried to send that signal through a satellite, it wouldn't go because the frequency accuracy was too poor.

can't be pulled very far. Or maybe they just rely on absolute accuracy, and when things drift between the source and the sync, you just drop or repeat a frame. Not sure.

That would be +/-3600 degrees/s phase error, so from the colour burst to the end of the visible line (about 60 us) that would be only be less than 0.2 degree phase error. Why is the requirement that tight ?

IIRC, in 1960/70's in comparisons between NTSC and PAL one significant drawback listed against NTSC was the need for a high quality (expensive) crystal oscillator, compared to PAL.

Reply to
upsidedown