Re: The naughty group ??

I haven't heard a peep from any of the "supposed good guy" posters > from Google Groups. > > I assume that they are going to move to a legitimate news server, so I > can drop the white-list ??? >

Jim,

I would do that.

I posted earlier the six messages labeled "CHINESE SPAM" I was experimenting with relabeling these posts so that google groups is more presentable to others who need to use GG during the day. In my case I can only see the usegroup via google groups(during daytime), and by retitling the spam it makes it look better for the people that still need to interface with google. As long as the google people are the ones that relabel the spam messages, then it should not affect people like you if you screen all google groups out.

I am going to play with retitling this crap.

Reply to
Blocher's spokesman

Place "GOOG" in the subject line and my Agent filters will take it out ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Google was do>I posted earlier the six messages labeled "CHINESE SPAM"

You are an idiot.

STOP IT. You are annoying the shit out of even more people.

Stop being and asshole and get one of the filters available for that

*-Meulendyk+holysmoke+*-Penney and did I mention? STOP BEING AN ASSHOLE. . . JT, You've already added one of this idiot's nyms to your killfile. Here are his new ones: news: snipped-for-privacy@u69g2000hse.googlegroups.com news:480681ca$0$9521$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com

Reply to
JeffM

No. I took that nym off my whitelist. None of his other nyms were on there.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I think that relabeling the titles of these messages will help the google users, and the other people can google filter them out. So I am going to try to relabel the spam messages if they are relatively recent. I think it will make reading the google groups easier. And for the non-google folk, just filter it out.

If the spammers have the right to flood this group, I have the right to rename them (and I will do it through google accounts).

*-Meulendyk+holysmoke+*-Penney

Reply to
Blocher's spokesman

So your assertion is that people who use google cannot tell it's spam from the original subject?

Robert

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Robert Adsett

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Noted ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

"Robert Adsett" wrote

That is not my original assertion at all. I am conducting a little experiment to see if google groups is more readable by noting all the spam as, well, spam. If ya don't like it, filter it out, or change the name back to what the spammers originally called it.

Reply to
Blocher's spokesman

In your case, can you read-only from googlegroups, but post as you have this evening via roadrunner?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

"Jim Thompson" wrote

At work I only use google groups to monitor usenet. I like the google interface to monitor and read posts but have mostly used my internet provider to post. For instance, your post came up on google 10 minutes faster than it came to my road runner account. I admit I have not explored other options beyond google and the basic outlook news reader. I suspect that a great number of working people monitor these news groups through google.

BTW, I noted that you were involved with the design of the MC 1590 AGC amplifier. beliieve it or not, just last year I redesigned a circuit that was using that part. We could only get them through brokers and they cost us over $100 per part, and often they did not work, because who knows where the broker was getting them from.

Reply to
Blocher's spokesman

FWIW, I do find the renamed subject lines much easier to ignore. Thanks.

I might be wrong, but ISTM that this re-labeling would be transparent to newsreader users already filtering googlegroups.

JeffM, what's your objection?

Best, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Hardly a week goes by that I do not have a request to _buy_ one of my legacy chips. I usually have to refer them to Lansdale and hope.

However I am presently working with a client in Australia to resurrect my venerable MC1648 design (with embellishments ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

That is true--as far as it goes.

Additional bulk (2X for each of the spam threads) hitting the newsreader of everyone who isn't already filtering out GG *before* it gets there is a further incentive to those folks to batch-plonk GG at the reader.

I note that Joerg, after downloading nfilter and despite having access to JT's filter file, still deep-sixed *everything* from Google Groups

--and he's about a patient as they come.

The solution for Google Groupers--as I already pointed out-- is one of the (3 that I know of) browser-based filters available. It's less work to configure that *once* for each spam type than to constantly be making a SECOND post to each spam thread

--which will piss off people using barefoot newsreaders after they have already plonked those spammers.

Reply to
JeffM

So you intend to *double* the amount of spam for those of us who do not yet filter out all google posters?

That will make you the biggest spammer here, by definition.

Oh, in case it is not obvious to you, you cannot "relabel" a usenet post.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

a) The tools I saw only allowed subject-line filtering. Yuk. b) The appeal of GoogleGroups is not having to install anything. Thus one can use the web to post from cafes and borrowed computers. If it's your computer to put stuff on, you might as well get a reader.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

That's a very good point. Dang those spammers.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur