Re: the beginning of the end, I hope

Why would we have a bust? We clearly are not in a bubble. There are

>very few times in the last 100+ years that the price of real estate has >gone below the adjusted for inflation norm. It is not uncommon however >to see it go up and eventually return. > >So if real estate prices are not high, why would they drop? Even if >they do due to some local, temporary event, they will shortly return.

Home (i.e. non-commercial) values have increased, but not uniformly across the country. 23% for the national average in the last 4 years.

Home prices in California have gone up 63% in the last 4 years:

Home values only went up about 10% in New York in the last 4 years:

During the same time period (2012 to 2016), inflation only allegedly went up 5%.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Bubble! Like the last one.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Not quite yet:

bubble. However, the top six cities San Jose and San Francisco, CA; Austin, TX; Salt Lake City; Dallas; and Los Angeles do show signs of overheating as prices continue to zoom up."

In other words, several US cities show all the signs of an inflationary housing bubble in progress, but this expert isn't calling it a bubble because prices haven't gone completely insane and the bubble hasn't burst yet. That's like saying that the house isn't on fire because it hasn't burnt to the ground yet.

While tech layoff's have recently increased in the Bay Area: H1B visas continue to hit the maximum allowed (65,000) for the last three years running: My guess(tm) is that would mean about 15,000 new immigrants to the SF Bay area. With a California homeowner vacancy rate at 1.2% and rental vacancy rate at 4.1%, it will be difficult for them to find housing, which will just bid up the prices even more. The rental vacancy rate is probably lower in San Francisco: Yep, 2.68% for SF. Good luck finding a rental.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

The house isn't on fire because the fire department hasn't shown up yet.

My employer has their share (hundreds). OTOH, they could ship all the jobs offshore (more accurately, bring them back home).

Reply to
krw

Same here, Utrecht, the Netherlands. Lots of churches older than 500 years, built on even older ruins. The Nieuwe Gracht (new canal) is from 1300 or about. The Oudegracht (old canal) is much older, of course.

The Romans were here too, but not much is left, except underground.

Groetjes Albert

Albert van der Horst

But it doesn't.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Seems to me it always has....

--

Rick C
Reply to

Any individual development eventually saturates it's potential market. Free market economies keep on developing new products for new markets, but quit e a lot of them look like tourism, or mobile phone applications, which make people happier but don't do anything that makes them much better off in th e long term.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It always has in the past, so your claim is "remarkable". Remarkable claims require remarkable proof, of course.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

This hasn't faltered yet. That graph *is* remarkable.

lunatic fringe electronics

It's a hockey stick! (Guess why?)

Grins, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I don't know. I'm not into sports.

lunatic fringe electronics

Turbulence is born in the gap where interconnectedness has been excluded.

Reply to
Spinpath

One of the ways the economy has happened to grow rapidly over the past coup le centuries has been an exponential growth in fossil carbon extraction and combustion.

James Arthur may be silly enough to think that this continue until we run o ut of fossil carbon to dig up. He too ill-informed - or perhaps too indoctr inated - to couple the exponential rise in the amount of fossil carbon turn ed into CO2 with the recent rapid increase in the average global temperatur e, which also has, as you'd expect, the same hockey stick shape.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Or science either.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Unfortunately it has, many times, if you look at the history of individual civilisations.

It is interesting that you are prepared to project this up-and-right graph into the indefinite future, but you refuse to project other similarly shaped graphs into the near future.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

:)

Especially since it is an *economic* prediction.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

We have a winner!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

We have to put an end to that _right_now_!

Reply to
krw

You are making up what I am "prepared" to do, and what I "refuse" to do. You are of course wrong about both.

There is a simple electronic circuit in which the voltage increases exponentially, forever, without any sort of faltering, whatever "falter" means here.

Besides, the original statement

Economic growth -- being exponential --

would be interesting if true, which it clearly isn't.

lunatic fringe electronics