Re: square wheels challenge

With the right road, yes. Use rack and pinion.

Reply to
Androcles

People have mentioned square wheels riding on a catenary shaped track. There is also of course the option of moving the axle up and down as the wheel rotate in order to get smooth progression.

But the first thing I thought of was to fill each axle almost full of lots of square wheels. By positioning the squares at differing angles its then posible to get a smooth ride to within a very small degree of vertical vibration, and since that can be absorbed with suspension the result can be a smooth ride.

And of course there is one other option.... give it round wheels as well as the square ones :) =========================================== As usual, the question was ill-framed and without adequate definition. What is "smooth"? Of course the road is part of the system. Even with round wheels one does not get a smooth ride, cars are fitted with springs and wheels with pneumatic tyres to improve the quality, which also depends on the speed.

NT

Reply to
Androcles

the

Do those wheels have to be the transport mechanism?

'ey, /krw.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

| >Can you design a vehicle, with square wheels, | >which rolls smoothly? | | Yes: |

| That's rack and pinion.

Reply to
Androcles

That is what the profile of main street in my town looks like in places.

-- Boris

Reply to
Boris Mohar