Re: Solder, wither art thou?

Ran out of Sn96.5Ag3.5 solder paste and needed to get more (been a

> while).

Is this the stuff called "silver solder?" I bought some of that at the ordinary hardware store once, about 30 years ago.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Depends on the salesperson and their client base. Nominally, "silver solder" is for brazing and has a rather high melting point and needs a torch for working. Now, in electronics, the terminology that has been used is "silver bearing solder" and _that_ stuff normally has only 2% silver, but there has been some 2.5% and 3% alloys as well. The solder inside the old tube Tektronix scopes was "silver bearing solder" and had 2% silver; the idea was to prevent leaching of the silver from the ceramic "tiepoints". Sorta like good old Savbit which had 2% copper to prevent leaching of the copper in soldering iron tips ("bits").

Reply to
Robert Baer

I think so. I just bought some for 'soft soldering' to stainless steel. I tried to buy the eutectic 157 brand I used as a Grad student... $150 a pound and 5 pound minimum order.. ouch! I found the same stuff sold by Stay Brite at a fraction of the cost. (The stainless steel flux is nasty stuff.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It is one of the alloys called that sometimes. It is not one of the=20 alloys called that normally. "Canonical" silver solders have notably=20 higher melting points and higher mechanical strengths.

Reply to
JosephKK