Re: Simple 4 channel analog to PWM IC. Does it exist?

Hi All,

> > I need to produce 4 PWM signals to input to 4 power MOSFETs that are > driving 4 DC motors. The MOSFET side of things is done/tested/working. > Currently I'm producing the PWM signals with a computer I/O interface, > however since I'm going with an embedded solution I want to give the > PWM generation to the hardware to take some burden off of the embedded > controller as it has other things to do. > > I've looked at ICs like the Tl494 or the UC1824 for PWM generation, > but I'm not sure they are the best for motor control, and I've had a > really hard time finding some simple application notes on these 2 ICs. > Basically, I'm looking for a single IC solution that will allow me to > give 4 analog signals to the chip and will produce 4 unique PWM > signals with minimal external components. The PWM frequency is > flexible. > > If a 4 channel Voltage-to-PWM IC is not available can anyone suggest > the simplest single channel Voltage-to-PWM IC that will require > minimal components for my application? > > If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. > > Thanks, > wind-it-up >

Look at the Atmel AVR microcontrollers -- they have versions with up to 3 PWM outputs, and most all of them have A/D converters with 8 channel multiplexed inputs.... or just use 4 of them -- I've used the Atmega168 for PWM motor control and it had plenty of horepower for dealing with encoder inputs, PWM generation, and a serial configuration interface... it comes in an 18 pin dip and other packacging and is more than up to the single channel task with minimal programming... there are probably 8 pin atmel or pic controllers that can do the job if you want to hold down board space :)

RE: minimal components -- the Atmega168 has onboard system clock (1mhz if I recall correctly.... external crystal up to 20mhz optional) so about the only external components needed are power-on-reset and power supply filtering, plus anything your specific application requires.

Reply to
John Barrett