Re: radar

> > There's no fundamantal reason why a high-frequency radar couldn't > image the insides of a house, at sufficient resolution to make fuzzy > pics of objects, walls, people, and pets. > > > "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, > papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall > not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, > supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the > place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized" > > suggests to me that a warrant would be needed to peep inside a house. > > > I'm still waiting for the impulse-radar imaging stud finder for $29.95 > at Home Depot. Maybe a heat gun and a thermal imager would find studs; > gotta try that. > > > -- >

Studs show up well with a thermal imager. Hot and cold water pipes do also.

Reply to
Tom Miller

I'd have to force some delta-T. Most of the walls of my house are interior, or smack up against the walls of other houses, so there is very little heat flow to make the studs show up.

The Livermore spinoff, the McEwan guy, had some super cheap impulse radar circuits, and was supposedly working on a stud finder. That was a while ago, so something went wrong.

 Click to see the full signature

Not at all, they're going strong:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

He didn't look in the right place.

I am right here.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Maybe an induction heating coil. Worst case, it sets fire to the wall if you get the delta-T too high.

That was like 25 years ago, no?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Okay, 20 years:

A $10 radar that "sees" through walls will revolutionize cars, tools, appliances and more.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The PDF technical overview is from 1996. "Development Status" says that they are looking for lincesees. Hardly going strong, to me.

mcewantechnologies.com doesn't work.

Pity; it seemed a cool idea.

 Click to see the full signature

What makes you think he would look in a dumpster?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Gaydar?

 Click to see the full signature

ugh-walls/22007615/

all

se,

e.

.95

ds;

also.

The truth of the matter is there's no market for it as stud finders. Even s omeone too dumb to find large objects 16 in. OC ( a standard established in 17th century England and going strong ever since) , the hollow wall anchor technology has advanced to the point where you don't need a stud.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

______ Gaydar

Notice the NOT.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I guess you could heat up the nail heads, and thermal image them.

I'll have to try a heat gun, then the FLIR. The studs, and the nail heads, might be cool spots.

I generally use a super magnet to find the nail heads; works well enough. The capacitive stud finders don't seem to work.

 Click to see the full signature

Stupidity is, if there was REASONABLE cause to suspect "X" was inside ANY given building, then a search warrant is required for search *AND* that means the hightech shit is NOT needed, period.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thought all one needed was a young lady to find studs...

Reply to
Robert Baer

That is the populist version - this is more suitable for here:

It is "see through" for VSVO "see".

1.22lambda/D limits the resolution you can hope for but a rough image ought to be possible with a luggable SAR setup and mm-wave. Ground penetrating radar imaging clearly shows that it is possible.

Terahertz imaging systems already can but the evidence of all the images and capability seems to have mysteriously vanished from public view. I am still waiting for the picture of my favourite supernova remnant to be published in the open literature (I have seen the image about two years ago now).

It isn't imaging. It is advanced Doppler radar detecting movement and it can trivially be stopped by fine grain chicken wire or metal foil.

US homes have very thin walls for the most part made of wood so are pretty easy to probe. Thermal IR cameras can see through some sheds. Perhaps the tin foil hat brigade do have a point after all!

I doubt they would get far into my walls which range from 0.5m to 1m solid sandstone or engineering brick. And the Victorians hit on this neat way of stopping wall plaster slumping by hanging chicken wire onto the walls before plastering over it. It is like being in a Faraday cage in some parts of the house.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

On a sunny day (Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:24:35 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Its a business opportunity, design some stuff.

As to the 'see through walls', that is very old really. I can sell you alu foil for 100$ / m^2, put it under the wall paper.

But then they will fly over with IR detecting choppers.

Few more years babies born with RFID chips implanted with 10 mile range or something, hooked to brain so they (those in power) can read your intentions. One year later they open the reverse channel so they can make you buy, have sex, commit a crime, or drop you dead on the spot. Big computah will run it all, and since those in power are not the most clever ones, big computah will grab them too, and you will all be slaves of Silly Con. Copyright (c) Jan Panteltje 2014 All rights reserved and taken away.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Not necessarily. In "exigent circumstances" a warrant is not needed. In a hostage situation, the SWAT team isn't going to knock on the door and ask where everyone is.

Reply to
krw

walls/22007615/

They (the pigs) have been doing helo FLIR grow room "discovery" for years, and that gets them a warrant to examine your electrical power usage, and that gets them that search warrant. So "needed"? No. Utilized to obtain warrant? Yes. Constitutional violation? Absolutely. Most (if not all) states as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Alarm system type microwave sensors can also "see" water running in pipes. That's one reason you often see microwave sensors packaged as dual-sensors, along with PIR (passive infrared) or sometimes ultrasonic pickups. Both must trip for an alarm to occur.

Reply to
mpm

McAvity