Re: OT: USA: Big Supreme Court case about double jeopardy

The oral argument was December 2018, so the decision should be within a

>month. The question is whether the practice of the federal government, >re-prosecuting people after they have been tried by the state, should >continue. The case name is Gamble v. United States. > >One of the main arguments for allowing re-prosecutions was "a race to >the courthouse". If you say only the state or the federal government >can prosecute for a particular crime, then that theory is there will be >a state-federal government race to the courthouse to charge the subject. > >I think the vote will be anywhere from 8-1 (Alito dissenting) against >double prosecutions to a 5-4 decision for double prosecutions. > >I think the "race to the courthouse" argument will be countered by "that >right can be given to the arresting authority", in either the judgment >or the dissent. In other words... If state officers make the arrest, >then they have dibs on the prosecution, and vice a versa. I'm surprised >that wasn't raised in oral argument.

Some hick town court could prosecute a mass murderer, find him innocent after 10 minutes of deliberation, and then he's free.

lunatic fringe electronics

So you don't believe hick towns should have the right to make laws and prosecute mass murderers? Oh, wait, they don't. Murder is a state crime.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C