Re: OT: Then once they've disarmed you...

How long does it take to swap magazines?

Reply to
krw

Only one "rule"... perp must fall _inside_ your house. If he doesn't... drag him quickly inside >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I think you'll find that's an old wives tale.

Reply to
krw

The Murdoch press isn't into informing it's readers, but rather into playing on their emotions.

Cursitor Doom's emotions are exactly of the kind they make money out of playing on, so he hasn't noticed that his fatuity has been exploited once again.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Cursitor Doom hasn't worked out that rational arguments tend to sound the same because they are rational, not because there is some global conspiracy to show him up as the gullible idiot that he is.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Hey look, a free psychological examination. Isn't the internet wonderful ?

Reply to
jurb6006

Cursitor Doom's psychology has been pushed down our throats for ages - his problems are well known and obvious. Having to put up with them isn't great.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Free - yet still not worth it.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Good advice. That's what white farmers used to have to do in South Africa, too, before the country went to hell in a handcart.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I don't believe it was "required by law" at all. Only if the accused is refusing to co-operate which wasn't the case here.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I wouldn't be so sure--D.C.'s pretty tame around Capitol Hill, but when I ventured just a few blocks the wrong way as night fell, it got pretty hairy.

It's one of America's most dangerous cities. Which is to be expected. After all, it's run by Congress ;-)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Cursitor Doom is in denial about his credulity and gullibility problems.

I really ought offer him paid counselling - he might be gullible enough to pay me for it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

London has more than its fair share of crime, and it has been going up recently. I don't really know why - I don't live there, and haven't followed it closely. Perhaps the pessimism of the idiotic brexit vote has an influence. New York, on the other hand, has had a gradual reduction in violent crime - again, I don't know why. When you cherry-pick the right statistics and time periods, London has had more murders than NYC for two months (/one/ more murder each month - statistically irrelevant). Looking at the bigger picture, NYC has quite a bit more murders than London but the gap is closing from both directions.

I also note that there are more guns in the hands of criminals in parts of London (and other "rough" neighbourhoods around the UK) than there used to be. Fortunately, they are still rare overall, and mostly used against each other. Murder rates would be a lot higher if they were more common.

I don't quite know how that relates to the principle in most civilised countries' laws that says you can't kill people or be violent to them unless it is unavoidable for self-defence, and you may use only a minimum level of violence to restrain a suspected criminal. Theft is not an acceptable justification for killing people.

Reply to
David Brown

YES!!! I agree, but not with censorship.

Reply to
makolber

I think we have to differentiate between censorship of gratuitous scenes of sex and/or violence in movies to young, impressionable minds on the one hand, and censorship of free speech on the other. There's an arguable case for the former, but none AFAIC for the latter.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

[...]

It's been gradual after Mayor Giuliani, but it's also gone up at times when DiBlasio reversed some of Giuliani's policies. While Giuliani was mayor it wasn't gradual at all. He cut the murder rate in half in his first term and half again in his second. His predecessor Dinkins did nothing to stop violent riots. The important thing to understand is that there was a palpable change of atmosphere when he came in. He also changed expectations so the population won't tolerate a complete reversal of his policies.

Giuliani's best moment was when he ordered the cops to throw Arafat out of Lincoln Center. The terrorist just got his Nobel Peace Prize and everyone else (like Bill Clinton who was there that night) was kissing his ass.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso