Re: OT: Self balancing wheel, electric unicycle

Just ordered an inexpensive unit to work on. I want to turn

>it into a mono wheel motorcycle. By adding a seat and >handlebar. There are examples on the Internet, but I want to >make sure it is light as possible by using aluminum tube. I >can get away with much less strength since there is no >liability for someone else using the thing. Will use my >Serfas cruiser saddle with lots of padding and springs to >make the ride smooth as possible. > >Anybody familiar with the electronics? Looks like neat stuff. > >I know most of you all are beyond elderly, so of course you >have never ridden one.

Anything with less than four wheels is a life-span reducer >:-}

We lose at least one motorcyclist a week here in Phoenix....

...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

The way I think of it is that with one wheel you're riding a power unicycle and _objectively_ crazy, so motorcyclists are just one wheel away from psychosis.

Reply to
bitrex

The story does not say it but it looks like he was killed by another illegal that was driving a pickup and ran a red light.

Reply to
tom

True! But the reality is, if you're on a motorcycle, legal or illegal, in busy city traffic, the statistics are _strongly_ against your survival.

Particularly in Arizona, with the sun in your eyes, seeing a motorcyclist in your path can be damn near impossible.

I'm very cautious... just in this past week I was saluted by a motorcyclist who I spotted and gave him space to merge. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

I've seen people on powered skateboards that have one giant rubber wheel in the middle. That looks like fun. One guy told me that it took him two hours to pick it up, and his young daughter did it in half an hour.

Everybody will get old eventually, if you're lucky and not too very stupid.

I quit motorcycling when I reached the Age of Reason, namely 40. It's just too dangerous on the street. I might get another dirt bike. Cars and trees are both hard, but trees don't actively try to kill you.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Jim, as another dedicated motorcyclist I thank you on behalf of my unknown friend.

Your point about motorcyclists being at risk suggests that most drivers in your state do not respect the rules of the road and do not drive with due care and attention.

Like most drivers of automobiles everywhere.

They do not look where they are going very carefully, nor do they allow for sun, fog, rain,...

Motorcyclists by nature need to be very aware of their environment. Not all are of course.

Any motorcyclist who doesn't take advanced road safety courses (or any safety course) is toying with death - too many do not understand Push Steering, nor the dynamics of braking on the straight vs curves, along with working to avoid accidents by constantly looking for 'ways out' when riding/driving.

Of course road safety training works for car drivers too.

I, for one, can't wait for self driving cars to take the legions of lousy drivers away from their steering wheels.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Around here motorcyclists basically seem to like to tailgate and rev their engines while moving around in back of you trying to find an opening to pass on the left or right so they can do 70 instead of 45.

Or sit behind you at lights, and rev their engines. Rrrrvv Room room room, skreeeeeeeee blap blap blap blap. VROOM ROOM SKREEEEEEEeeee

Reply to
bitrex

Yes, many motorcyclists are obnoxious. One noisy bike can wake up a thousand people. Many also seem to have a death wish. Lane splitting is legal in California, and has the expected Darwin effects.

MCs are about 35x as fatal as cars, on a per-mile basis.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

There are certain classes of vehicles, like 1200cc sportbikes, that you just know the driver isn't buying to use to be a courteous driver or take to track day, but is buying to use as a whackoff-mobile to behaev like whackoff on public roads with an unwilling audience.

Also like this dumb thing:

There should be a huge whackoff-tax you have to pay upfront to own whackoff-mobiles like that.

Reply to
bitrex

Same here, but sometimes it's 2 a week. Just reckless kids.

Martin Riddle

We seem to lose older guys with families... just going to work, and hit by some clown, "I didn't see him" :-(

I've seen too many of these personally... a dead body in the middle of the street is _not_ a pleasant sight. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Does driving off a cliff count as a faceplant?

krw