Re: OT: Night vision camera harmed by daylight?

On a sunny day (Mon, 3 Dec 2018 05:08:03 -0000 (UTC)) it happened John Doe wrote in :

> >Is a night vision camera that is ultrasensitive (allegedly 0.00001 lx) >damaged by exposure to bright sunlight? > >I'm not asking about performance, just possible damage to the sensor or >the electronics. > >Thanks.

I have some Sony super HADs 0.01 lux sensitivity and those do not care about bright sunlight. What maybe is not a good idea is point it in focus at the sun, silly con does melt at some temperature, that goes for any camera of course.

I do not see a control thing in that link, my Sony has one where you can select menus to set just about everything. And the super HAD was half that price.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

John Doe wrote in news:pu2dni$m60$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

When I worked at an infra-red thermometry company, we had detecor transducers that would fry if pointed toward the sun. I am sure there are image sensors that can as well.

The sensor fed an ultra-sensitive, device integrated FET and that is what got/gets fried.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That is just a fairly sensitive low noise CMOS CCD camera now common in amateur astronomy - apart from pointing it at the sun for an extended period of time it won't suffer any ill effects from daylight.

The ones where you could cause trouble used high voltage to amplify the incoming photons so that each photon that emitted an electron at the input got something like a million times gain and smashed into a phosphor screen at the other end of a vacuum tube. You could pretty easily burn damage those by inappropriate handling when they were

Perhaps their protection from damage is better than the older ones now.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

You can roast the colour filters on RGB sensors, but monochrome ones are pretty tough.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs