Re: OT: Cliat Change Concerns Cause Depression

Apparently, being concerned about the effects of Climate Change on plants, animals, and Nature in general causes anxiety, depression, and PTSD.

It takes an Olympic-class wuss to have PTSD over something that hasn't happened yet.

lunatic fringe electronics

No it isn't, Win. These kind of events have occurred in the past and will occur from time to time in the future. The next time you see sea levels like that could easily be 70 or more years from now. Don't panic!

Cursitor Doom

,

Cursitor Doom is a patronsing twit who has not been paying attention, or a t least not to the scientific work published in peer-reviewed journals.

The Scientific American isn't peer-reviewed, but it does dumb the science d own enough that Cursitor Doom might have chance of following the logic.

The general formulation is that the current one degree Celcius of warming p uts 6% more water vapour into the air over the oceans. That is 6% more rain when it falls, and 6% more heat of condensation released into the air when the water vapour does fall out as rain, driving 6% more energetic circulat ion.

6% isn't a dramatic increase, but it spreads out the Gaussian distribution of improbably fierce weather, so there's more of that around.

Serious sea level rise is going to have to wait until the Greenland and Eas t Antarctic ice sheets slide off into the ocean - that's about 10 metres be tween - them and it will happen quite fast when it does happen.

Storm surges go away again, but they do leave quite a lot of water damage b ehind them, and they are becoming more frequent.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It takes a first class ignoramus to think that climate change isn't happening now, but John Larkin never pays remotely enough attention to the subject he pontificates about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

LOL, speaking of which!

Reply to
M Philbrook

Win seems to have lost sight of the fact that these events have always been with us since before the dawn of time. Here's a good example of one such we had to contend with in Western Europe 65 years ago. It hasn't happened again since, but almost inevitably *will* at some point in the future:

Nothing whatever to do with "man made global warming" which of course only exists in the minds of schemers and scammers like Bill Sloman and his pal, George Soros.

Cursitor Doom

According to Win, Chicken Little was an optimist, and Michael Mann is the second coming of Abraham. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Jamie meant "speaking as one", but one of the many subjects he doesn't know much about is English expression.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The fact that storm surges have happened before isn't that interesting. The question is the frequency - are they once in 100 year events, or once in 1

000 year events? That does seem to be changing, and for the worse.

The Dutch sea wall had been designed to cope with a once in a century event . After 1953 they were rebuilt to cope with a once in 10,000 year event - t hey'd started off at once in 125,000 years event, but that would have cost too much.

Not true - but Cursitor Doom is too silly to realise this.

The Dutch Delta plan now includes strengthening the dikes to cope with glob al warming and the consequent sea level rise.

"In September 2008, the Delta commission presided by Dutch politician Cees Veerman advised in a report that the Netherlands would need a massive new b uilding program to strengthen the country's water defenses against the anti cipated effects of global warming for the next 190 years. The plans include d drawing up worst-case scenarios for evacuations and included more than ?100 billion, or $144 billion, in new spending through the year 210

0 for measures, such as broadening coastal dunes and strengthening sea and river dikes.

The commission said the country must plan for a rise in the North Sea of 1.

3 meters by 2100 and 4 meters by 2200."

That probably didn't make it into the Daily Mail or Russia Today, and certa inly hasn't penetrated Cursitor Doom's right-wing bubble.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Michael Mann got a lot of attention from the climate change denial lobby, but somebody even marginally better informed than Jim Thompson would have given Charles Keeling pride of place in the global warming pantheon.

probably deserves more credit - his chemistry lectures to Al Gore are what first got Al Gore interested in anthropogenic global warming, and it was Roger Revelle who persuaded Charles Keeling to start monitoring atmospheric CO2 levels at Mauna Loa in 1958.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Much of river flooding is due to upstream deforesting and drying of bugs. When it rains heavily, all water enters the river at once, causing down stream flooding.

Previously upstream woods, bogs and lakes retained the water for days or weeks and the water only slowly entered the river.

Bangladesh is just a huge river delta, in which multiple streams enter the ocean. Once a stream is clogged, the water will find an other way to the ocean. If there is a village in the way, it will literally be flushed into the ocean.

The land un river deltas and close to vulcans is very fertile (and hence a large population), but you should also expect some "surprises" now and then.

Reply to
upsidedown

Jim, I would thank you to lay off the endless insults you send my way, it's disgusting.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yes indeed.

It is sad to think that Mr Thompson will be remembered for this kind of behaviour, rather than his achievements.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That's his style, and it is repulsive, and he's not going to change.

He's a practical joker, always get even, insecure piece of work.

lunatic fringe electronics

Did I speak untruthfully? ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Glad you liked it >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Factually, you're an asshole, pretending to be a sage. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

"Endless"? It's probably been at least a year since I last indicated your true leftist self, n'est-ce pas le cas? ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I don't pretend to be anything. WYSIWYG. Ask the people who have met me.

What I'm not is nasty.

lunatic fringe electronics

I doubt it. A few years after my death virtually no one here will remember me, period! Except, perhaps the five (mostly anonymous) lurkers here for whom I've designed chips.

But I will be remembered by the literally _hundreds_ of customers for whom I have successfully designed chips, performing to spec FIRST PASS... financial savings have a way of imprinting on the mind ;-)

A few of them will remember me as the obstinate horse's-ass who dug in his heels and insisted that the customer's architecture was a disaster... like in 2011, TLSI, Huntington, LI (where I met Martin Riddle and sipped a few)...

TLSI hired a "TEAM" of analog designers... three of us, plus a controller programming guy, plus Cadence to design the controller core itself.

By the end of the second week the other two analog designers had gone home "for the weekend"... never to return ;-)

Cadence, the controller guy, and I hashed out the architecture, and I ended up designing the whole shebang on a Lenovo ThinkPad X61s laptop, using PSpice Schematics (non-Cadence-compliant), with TLSI agreeing to take on the task of converting PSpice Schematics to Cadence Virtuoso.

Worked first pass out of the box... three months total design time! They'll remember me ;-)

But mostly I'll be remembered simply, and most importantly, as "Opa", husband (still on #1 after 58 years ;-), father (of 4), grandfather (of 8) and great-grandfather (of 3)... I am, after all, just an ordinary family guy... which is how I wish to be remembered, irrespective of how I may be considered here. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.