Re: OT: cash-back scam

On Nov 19, 10:31=A0pm, krw wrote: krw > There were a bunch of WallyWorld cashiers krw > arrested around here last summer for this krw > scam. =A0It happens, but it could be anywhere. krw >=A0It's not WallyWorld scamming the $20.

Got a LINK to such a news story? How would they do it since as somebody reported, cashiers have no way to initiate cash back? I'd like to see if there is a news story that proves Snopes is wrong. What city?

Reply to
Greegor

No, I don't keep "links" to news reports.

Somebody reported wrong?

Montgomery (or maybe Burmingham) AL.

Reply to
krw

Clerks CAN initiate cash back.

On rare occasions I've had clerks ask if I'd like cash back, and how much. ...Jim Thompson

                  Obama: Doubling Down On STUPID

Not the actual case. At a major chain grocer the cashier asks me if i want any cash bask. I ask for some about 1/2 the time. Never been a problem either. It strongly depends on the POS software.

Reply to
JosephKK

It seems to be a pretty universal option in the UK but, whenever I've=20 used the facility, I've always been asked to sign the vendor's slip=20 against the cash back entry, although it's a chip and pin transaction.

It proves conclusively that the customer requested, and received, the=20 cash so there can be no argument either way.

It's such a simple procedure, I don't see why it can't be implemented=20 everywhere.

--=20

Terry

Reply to
Terry Casey

Specifically at Wal-Mart?

Reply to
Greegor

When my folks were in their twilight years, I was essentially their majordomo - balancing the checkbook, etc. One day some problem cropped up, and Mom and Dad and I went to see some bank officer, and we were going through the account records, and a lot of the entries were "POS." The gal at the bank didn't know what it meant. I was tempted to say, "Piece Of ...", but restrained myself. I patiently explained to all three, "Point Of Sale."

In this case, however, it could very well be applicable in context. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise