Re: Oh my! Nostalgia!

Subject: Oh my! Nostalgia!

> From: Jim Thompson > Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design > Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:50:35 -0700 > > Oh my! Nostalgia! > > Stumbled onto this site... > >
> > I built the FM3 and the PAS2 when I was a kid ;-)

The first true hifi I heard was a Dynaco amp and speakers. Really rocked my world way back then.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

My first high-power amplifier was a version of Williamson-Ultralinear, but wasn't built from a kit... straight from schematic to chassis.

Of course I had an advantage... I was raised in a radio-TV repair shop and had access to chassis punches, etc., and an account with the local electronics wholesale house.

I only learned in recent years that my dad had instructed the wholesale house personnel that I was to have free rein to wander the product storage aisles and get whatever I wanted... charged to his account ;-)

...Jim Thompson

.My first high-power amplifier was a version of Williamson-Ultralinear,

.Of course I had an advantage... I was raised in a radio-TV repair shop

A lot of good that did you, long after the fact. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No. I was just careful, because I thought I had to pay for it.

...Jim Thompson

You were under the impression -- for years -- that some day you'd be getting this huge bill in the mail for all the parts you'd ever used? :-)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Be careful. Jim's pa is alive and kicking. He has a PC, could read this and get an idea...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Knowing my father, I never knew when the shoe would drop.

Maybe this year on his 89th Birthday ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

My uncle Sheldon had a tv repair shop, so I had an infinite supply of old chassis and parts. Plus he had been a radio operator in WWII and, on leaving the service, had somehow stolen a shed full of exotic military gear. And when I was a kid, there was mountains of WWII surplus electronics around, like a wing-pod radar for $70, or pmt's and crt's for $1.

I don't think I ever saw Sheldon without a long-neck Dixie beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other, and a honkey-tonk woman nearby. He used to put a few cases of empties out on the front porch and the Dixie truck driver, seeing them, would replace them with full ones.

John

No, they came out of some pack. They killed him, of course.

John

But it sounds like he still lived a heck of a life.