Re: Long life lights

John Lark>

My experience is that diodes do help a lot.

Keep in mind that the filaments in blinking marquee lights have a much greater temperature swing than the filament of a lamp in series with a diode.

Don Klipstein

Evaporation kills filaments, not mechanical stress.

Diodes do greatly extend the life of an incandescent.

John

Wouldn't you use a pair in antiparallel?

Thanks, Rich

--
For more information, please feel free to visit http://www.godchannel.com
Reply to

No, that would only drop 0.7 volts or so. A single diode reduces the RMS voltage to about 85.

Lamp brightness goes as about V^3.4, and life goes as V^-16.

John

For really long life (and low efficiency), maybe two 120VAC bulbs in series with a diode. Yeah, 2 bulbs 1 diode.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

For 42 volts RMS across each lamp?

How extreme do you want to go? Put two 300W 120V lamps and a diode in series, and power consumption will be about 170 watts. And light output will be about 120 lumens. The light output exponent is more than 3.4-3.5 when voltage is that low.

A 230V lamp or two 120V ones in series should last long enough. I have heard -13 and -14 for that life expectancy exponent, and at times worked out -12 for myself. Even if it is -12, a 750 hour 230V lamp would have median life of 210 years at 120V.

Don Klipstein

For 42 volts RMS across each lamp?

How extreme do you want to go? Put two 300W 120V lamps and a diode in series, and power consumption will be about 170 watts. And light output of both combined will be about 200 lumens - about that of a "standard" 25W

120V lamp. The light output exponent is more than 3.4-3.5 when voltage is that low - figure more like 4 for that hot-running lamp, 4.1 on average for others.

A 230V lamp or two 120V ones in series should last long enough. I have heard -13 and -14 for that life expectancy exponent, and at times worked out -12 for myself. Even if it is -12, a 750 hour 230V lamp would have median life of 210 years at 120V.

If you want really extreme, you don't need diodes - just put a few lamps in series. 3 should be overkill, with mean life expectancy (in the unlikely event filament evaporation is still the limiting factor) in the 10's of millennia or more.

Don Klipstein