Re: Large toroid machine at work.

This is a video of large toroid winding machine in action. The small

> ones work pretty much the same way except that they're smaller. > >
> > John John DeArmond
> Tellico Plains, Occupied TN See website for email address

THanks. I always wondered how they did that! Wonder if it's the same principle when they wind much smaller, sub-1" toroids, though?

Cursitor Doom

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Thanks, Lasse. I can't quite see what's going on here. Are they using some sort of flying shuttle arrangement?

Cursitor Doom

looks like it works the same, "wheel" through core loaded with wire and the n spun to wind it on the core, just automated

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The thing that's sort of hard to see is how they pull the wire off the bottom of the feed coil during the winding step.. Does the whole feed coil rotate on the steel guide, or is there some clever sliding mechanism?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Phil Hobbs

I saw one toroid winding machine for really big wire. There was a pheumatic cylinder on the floor that pulled a big steel hook down through the toroid. The operator put the wire through the hook and hit the pedal, and the hook yanked the wire down through the core. Then the operator bent and hammered the wire around and did it again.

lunatic fringe electronics

?

on this it look like the part with the wire on can slide

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It looks like on a machine like that where the shuttle is much larger in diameter than the toroidal magnetic core, the taut length of wire between the pulley and the core gets longer and shorter by quite a lot. So each part of the wire gets wound on and off the shuttle a few times before it finally ends up wound onto the core. It is amazing how much mechanical abuse the enamel on winding wire can take.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Either that, or the shuttle rotates back and forth as driven by the tensioner.

I forget which way those machines are usually arranged.

Enamel can take a lot of flex. I haven't seen it flake off of kinks except for very old or overheated wire. Even if it's rocking back and forth on the shuttle or the core, it doesn't matter to the enamel!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams