Re: Laptop + Wireless + Concrete wall.

Oh yeah one more little detail...

Wireless router has to work with skype, since that is used sometimes as well by mammie and certain other people ;) :) like probably family members ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Skype has nothing to do with it.... Routers come in two flavours- cable or telephone line - get the right one! Get a 'high power' router + high power wireless card for the laptop. Can only tell you about netgear...

should go through a certain amount of concrete,not directly, but via windows, doors, glass etc.

Reply to
TTman

I'm not so sure about that...

If skype uses tcp/ip or udp... and the router does NAT... then I can imagine some sort of problem...

I saw at least one user comment mention that some routers have problems with "voip"... and thus could include skype and I think skype was mentioned too...

Good tip. With cable you mean utp ?

That's what wireless N is for ?

Hmm not much use I'm afraid... it will have to go through concrete directly... at least floor/ceiling, and perhaps also walls if place on floor level.

I might give it a try anyway.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

skype works 100% with my netgear router...

Reply to
TTman

The big problem isn't just the concrete itself... it's also the rebar.

Almost all concrete installed these days (and for many years) is "reinforced". The concrete is poured around a mesh (usually) of steel bars or wires, which increase the concrete's ability to resist breaking and fracturing.

Between the steel (which is both conductive, and lossy) and the concrete itself (which retains some amount of moisture, and contains salts, and is thus both conductive and lossy) concrete serves as a pretty good absorber of most radio-frequency energy. A well-built concrete building behaves like a crude Faraday cage... RF on the outside doesn't get inside very well, and RF on the inside doesn't leak out efficiently.

Interior walls made of reinforced concrete will have a similar effect.

This isn't an issue just for WiFi. It also affects other radio frequencies to a similar degree (although the attenuation differs). AM radio, FM, UHF and VHF radio, cellphone signals... all are greatly weakened by going through concrete.

Wood and sheet-rock do attenuate WiFi signals, but to a much lesser degree.

On the other hand, wood house-sheathing or interior sheet-rock walls which contains a metallized plastic film as part of a "vapor barrier" or energy-saving system, will act as a extremely efficient barrier to WiFi and other radio signals.

They'll bounce, and they'll also go right through the walls to a significant extent. The wireless system's range, indoors, will be quite a bit less than it would be outdoors in "clear air" but it won't be too bad.

Try sticking the router in the closet... just configure it stand-alone and don't worry about running the UTP cable to the rest of your network. Test the signal while walking around the house, and see where you can and cannot get adequate signal coverage. There's a fair chance it will work acceptably well.

Cellphone systems are affected in the same way WiFi signals are... they don't go through concrete efficiently, either. If you've ever had to wave a cellphone around to get service while indoors, or have had to walk outside to get enough bars to make a call, you'd see this same phenomenon.

Some commercial buildings now contain cell-phone "repeater" systems (wired up to antennas on the roof) or "picocell" or "femtocell" stations (small, low-power miniature "cellphone towers" connected to the Internet), precisely to work around this problem.

Dave Platt

e more little detail...

ers

!

Skybuck specifically said he wanted a router that could go through wood. I know Sears, Black & Decker, Dewalt, and Ryobi make several good ones....

Reply to
mpm

The big problem is the water. The spacing of rebar is sufficiently wide that 2.4GHz will mostly go through quite easily. Some gets reflected, but most will pass. However, water absorption is another story.

Welded steel mesh is usually used for floors, not walls.

Yep. Iron oxide, also known as ferrite, is used in many RF attenuation applications (i.e. ferrite beads). The surface of stealth airplanes, ships, tanks, etc use various iron oxide compounds as an RF absorber to reduce radar reflections. Since RF likes to flow on the surface of conductors, the surface coating of rust on the rebar makes a really nice absorber.

I'm not sure, but I believe concrete is about 1/3 water. Hit some concrete with a cutting torch and watch what happens when the water turns to steam.

Again, it depends on the water content. Wet wood blocks fairly well. Dry wood will pass most RF. Sheet rock or dry wall sometimes comes with aluminium backing, which is great for heat retention, but also doesn't pass any RF. I have a customer with a house full of the stuff. No RF goes between rooms, except through the open door. Using a cell phone inside is a wasted effort (because the windows are also coated with titanium dioxide Low-E for energy efficiency).

Oh-oh. I haven't seen any of that. Most of the vapour barriers I've seen are just plastic or kevlar material. Looks like you're right:

Even if they do bounce, he'll probably have more than one path between the access point and the client radio. This is a good thing for MIMO and a guaranteed flaky signal for 802.11b/g.

Nope. Same problem, but to a lesser degree. The difference is that cellular transmitters are narrow band, while wi-fi is wide band. You can trade range for bandwidth, which is why 1Mbit/sec 802.11 data goes MUCH farther than 54Mbits/sec 802.11g. That's also why the access points slow down the transmission rate when the signals are full or errors. To get 25Mbits/sec thruput with cellular, you'll need WiMax, HSDPA, or other 3GPP modulation scheme, which will have similar issues. Also, cellular is designed to deal with interference issues, while Wi-Fi is a big free for all. If your access point was located on a rooftop or tower, in an area with little interference, you too would have great penetration and range. This is exactly what many WISP (wireless internet service providers) are going with varying levels of success.

I'm making good money selling and installing those.

Energy efficient homes tend to be RF screen rooms.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

There are powerline networks to be considered. I installed a Coax system in my house (Netgear MCA1001) which works great. By the way I hook the laptop up through the Coax network to my large LCD TV and use the TV as a monitor. My lowbrow friends come over with their beer and always want to browse You Tube (most of them are in their sixties and should know better :-)). Though I guess free beer is free beer. I control the laptop with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Skybuck Fly> Hello,

Reply to
Bill Bradshaw

The Subject line says concrete, but I suspect that there are those that have trouble recognizing the difference.

That's just step one. Please suggest that he install a passive repeater on both sides of the hole. That's where you mount an antenna on each side of the wall, with a coax cable in between. It's suppose to pass RF through the wall via the coax. Something like this:

The reason I want you to suggest it is so I have an excuse to calculate and explain (again) why it's generally a lousy idea.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

actually i read it as BOTH (wood AND concrete, sounds like wood on concrete....)

Reply to
Peter Pan

He wanted to go through his head? How about a .357?

Reply to
krw

Should we tell Skybuck to put a fan on the LAN cable so it doesn't overheat?

Reply to
mpm

No. I don't think Mr Starbuck has any fans or supporters.

I still like the passive repeater through the wall idea. That's not because it won't work, but because the similarity between the old two tin cans and a string is so cool. With two coffee cantennas and some coax, it's much the same, except it's for wi-fi.

I suppose it would be useful to remind Mr Skybuck that buying a computah for a friend or relative also enlists Mr Skybuck as tech support and rescue service for the life of the product. It's the last of the truly unlimited warranties. Never sell a used car or computah to a friend is good advice.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I had to play "tron evolution" so it was postponed until today ;) :)

It's now morning and maybe we go take a looksy today ;)

It's a good thing too.. because now I am pretty sure that intel core i5 is probably better choice than amd phenom II... because intel core i5 has sse

4.1 and sse 4.2 which has some interesting new instructions as well.

Though perhaps the website I saw was a lie... perhaps intel core i5 only supports 4.1 ???

Hmm...

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

What does the warden have to say about your drilling holes in the walls of your cell?

-- Paul Hovnanian snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Have gnu, will travel.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Went with mammie yesterday:

  1. Mammie liked expensive sony laptop with superior non glossy LCD screen, laptop costed 1700 euro's ! ouch... way to advenced for her but ok.

  1. Mammie also liked other sony laptop which was more cheap 800 euro, had glossy screen.

  2. Mammie also liked All-In-One Monitor+PC build into one. Her only fear was that it would fall over... well seen by mammie. Regular monitors are more stable in that way.

  1. Mammie also saw ipad and me too, funny little device. But too tiny and no keyboard, though could be bought seperatly but a bit stupid... I am wondering what it would be like an ipad in bed ;) :) Maybe I would get extremely lazy and stay in bed all the time lol.

  2. I also saw belkin internet-via-powerline device, but a quick google learned that it could produce radio frequencies/interference... from a user's comment... hmm.

  1. Netgear 3700 router was sold out, netgear 2000 router was available.

All devices have wireless.

All devices were pretty recent processor and graphics wise... dual core duo tot icore5 and icore7 (the expensive sony), athlon x2 260 or something.

Mammie now has to think what she will get... she seems to be wanting a laptop.

If she does by one it will probably be the number 2... sony.

She also extremely liked a sort of docking station for the sony... it's not a docking station... but some kind of thing that can be placed under the sony to elevate the laptop it also has speakers which sound much better... unfortunately it was only available in white... and unfortunately the laptop that she wanted was also sold out or not in stock yet... kinda funny since all other laptops where in stock, (she had no idea about that up front).

Personal notes:

I'm getting some cool looking glasses, but I also had a second little heart attack, which I will probably go see the doctor soon... I am still rather young... but I don't know how much longer I will be around ! ;) :)

So maybe this will be one of my last messages and you will never know what it ultimately became or whatever... but I hope not... I hope I will be around here for much longer... fingers crossed.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying