Re: I want to use Laser to cut a thin metal connection inside of a

> >> Lasers are used to engrave metal. It seems one of >> these Laser heads might do it.

Just to add, we have a 35W CO2 laser cutter, and usually light is simply reflected when encountering metal, defeating efforts to cut.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

150 Watt CO2 Metal Cutting Laser by KERN LASERS

co2 laser cutting metal, metal laser cutting, 150W co2 laser cut metal, FL-1325M

The pipe cutting is most impressive:

Kern Laser Systems Pipe Cutting with 150W CO2 Laser

Kern Lasers offers a pipe cutting laser system capable of cutting up to 5" diameter steel pipes. A 150W and

400W version are available. The 150W will cut up to 0.080" walls and the 400W will cut up to 1/8" walls. Knock outs, end profiles and joint cutting are just a few of the projects this machine is capable of performing. Take it one step further and etch serial numbers around the pipe before it is cut.

The nice thing about laser cutting is the lack of distortion in the cuts. I think the only other way to get the same result is with EDM machining, but this is much slower.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

YOU would need a Q-switched ND:Yag laser to even try this. A Carbon Dioxide laser would just crack the glass from adsorption. Three mechanical things are going to happen when you try this.

  1. The shorting wire IS going to slowy vaporize and fill the tube with a fine black metal powder.

  1. The wire your cutting will outgas.

  2. The Dumet or Alloy 51 wire that passes thru the glass will heat up to red hot and crack the glass.

I've used lasers to heat objects in vacuum before. I know of what I speak.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328