Re: How Do YOu Cheat On Specs ? (audio)

I thought the FTC got into the game years ago and that is why we have those RMS contiuous power ratings. OK, we know that mathematically RMS power is irrational or whatevber. Not really the definition of a true irrational number, it is just improper. But it is the RMS voltage that would produce thaat power disspation or whatever into a specified resistance, like eight ohms.

> >So, other day I go to the bar, a friend of a friend runs it. The company that supploies the juke box threw in an amp for the outdoor speakers. A thousand watts it says. I think it said Gemsound PRO-1000 and it actually said 1,000 watts right on the front. > >Don't you real engineers have to meet specs ? I mean, this supposed thousand watt amp had a three amp fuse. A 20 watt per channel dcent receiver is built better, seriously. Little TO-220 outputs on a heatsink maybe 4" high and about 8" wide. Few fins. No berylium tube, no fancy shit. And all fed by a three amp main fuse.

Those are Chinese watts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Well they do tend to try to make things smaller...

Reply to
jurb6006

We used to call them 'Craftsman watts' (after the Sears tool brand). Go figure a 4HP shop vac with a NEMA-15/3 plug and 16GA wire.

Reply to
krw

375 W. Hair dryers used to be advertised as 1800 W (15 A * 120 V). Then some professional liar marketeer found out that the line voltage could sometimes go higher than that, so you started seeing 1850 W and 1875 W (15 A * 125 V) hair dryers.

I haven't yet seen one that, based on 120 V + 10%, advertises 1980 W, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Comma is the decimal separator in some locales.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

On a sunny day (Wed, 6 May 2015 14:06:58 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Years ago I was in a computah shop to buy something, and the sales-druid was selling somebody 10W PC speakers running from a 6V 300 mA adaptor something.

I started laughing, he was upset.

They were also trying to sell a faster GHz PC to a guy who said his email was slow.

Last time I was there in that street that computah shop was gone.

I think it is Watts Peak Power When Lightning Hits (WPPWLH)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje