Re: eprom programmer

Any opinions on this?

> Seems pretty cheap (about $70 in all) >

Haven't seen that one before, but the problem is the same with all these cheap universal programmers - the software support (now and future). It can be a lucky-dip as to what will work and what won't, and the makers seem to drop support for these cheap universal prorgammers pretty quickly too. Programing EPROMs and the like are usually not a problem as they are fairly generic and tolerant of the algorithm used. However, I wouldn't trust such a device to program the myriad of PIC or Atmel micro's available for example.

What do you need it for?

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

Indeed. Many of them used parallel ports (with some even using proprietary ISA cards) as the PC interface and all timing was done in software. That worked in DOS, not so well in the NT versions of Windows. Not knowing that particular programmer, I'd give it a 10% chance of working today.

Does anyone use EPROMs anymore?

Reply to
krw

I just resurrected an ancient Toshiba laptop (windows 95, 16MB RAM) for just this purpose (parallel port EPROM programmer). Ran off 100 EPROMS for what is hopefully a "last time build" of one of our older boards. It's all packed away in a box now, "just in case".

In-circuit programming via JTAG now (or similar). The pods are cheap too, no more ~$1k device programmers for me!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

4Mb flash chips, 27f040
--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

At $75 that doesn't matter too much

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Seriously. The only use I see for an actual old-school programmer is for support or development on a hobby-level of old computers.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

These work:

|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I have mine on a 25$ used dell laptop running win 98.

So many venders have copied it that it is A. Sort of A Standard, and B. You need to read the fine print in the sales ads, The willem freeware website is out there some place and the program that drives it is quite decent, with graphical aids on configuring the board etc.

I have friends that use them for pics.

if its a eeprom, a atmel or older pic, try ponyprog. All you need is a db25, some wire and a zener.

Steve

Reply to
osr

If it's just a one-off then it's probably cheaper to use a programming service. Quite a few suppliers and individuals offer this.