Re: Electric Cars Not Yet Viable

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

We should all pack up and move to Tralfamador then.

The toxic atmosphere there has to be better than what we are doing to ourselves here.

Of all the things that are bad when they burn, NG is one of the cleanest. At least available ones. We could burn Hydrogen, if it were easier to gather.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Down in Florida, that is what they use to f*ck with election results...

Yeah... that's it...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in news:qf9p7o$966$2 @gioia.aioe.org:

Should have said:

"Damn, you guys are dam stupid sometimes."

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Corn syrup more like.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'll bet few buyers have considered the implications if they live in a conservation area where stuff like that would never get passed. Not sure if you have those in America, but they're extremely common in the UK.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I think the problem we're seeing here is complete failure to understand in detail how things are done in another country. We're making assumptions about other countries methods of power distribution that are a fundamentally flawed. Hence we see normally intelligent people talking what appears to be complete nonsense. And that is the nub of it.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I wouldn't say they are /extremely/ common, but there are significant numbers of them.

More relevantly they are by definition pretty, so the flats/houses are expensive which means that they tend to be inhabited by Tesla's target demographics.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:qf9ufm$n0f$1@dont- email.me:

Why not water?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Each year, the world's gasoline-powered vehicles consume nearly the entire world's annual production of gasoline

Reply to
bitrex

bitrex wrote in news:WS%RE.1642$ snipped-for-privacy@fx21.iad:

scienti

Lawn mowers, golf carts, agricultural machines... gasoline powered aircraft...

Lots of other uses. Probably amounts to a percent or two.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

We have them, but people aren't anal about things like street lighting (is that allowed in the conservation districts?) and other improvements to the public areas. We tend to conserve the buildings, not the lifestyle.

--
  Rick C.

  +---+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

They may or may not be extremely anal about changes; it depends on the area, the changes and the local authorities.

For example, a city near me states:

There are 33 conservation areas in Bristol. Conservation areas have a special character and appearance and we aim to preserve or enhance them. A conservation area might have: historic road patterns, plots and boundaries characteristic building materials and construction techniques historic building uses green spaces

*trees and street furniture* distinctive views

Note particularly the "trees and street furniture".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That was simple, since there were only two people to provide for.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

I've heard that many fire departments aren't equipped to handle those fires so they have to just let them burn, while hosing down what's around them t o keep the fire from spreading.

I've seen one gasoline fueled car on fire, but it didn't emit the toxic che micals that a burning EV does. What I've seen are request for foam equipmen t, like they use at airports but the cost is quite high, and would require separate trucks and crews so no one wants to pay for them on their taxes.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

of the

swap

tly (last four years maybe) they decided to drop the idea.

e you need to keep the vehicle on the road most of the time. It's really n ot that big of a deal for a standard use vehicle even on trips.

400

to VT

tart, can't heat the passengers until they are warmed up and require being warmed up to prevent damage to the drive train before driving at highway sp eeds. Jeeze, these ICE things are complicated to use. Makes you wonder wh y anyone wants them...

I spent a year where the average temperature was -40 during the winter. Eac h parking place had a 20A outlet for heaters. Lower heater hose, battery bl anket and dipstick heaters. 20A was barely enough to keep the vehicle usabl e, and the engines were cool to the touch in minutes. You had to use cardbo ard to block the radiators, or the cold air would frees the coolant.

Buses and construction equipment was store in heated garages at the Motor P ool. It wasn't uncommon to have to tow a diesel vehicle to those garages wh en they stopped running due to the cold. Let them sit overnight, and they w ould fire right up.

The standard 90W gear oil had to be changed to 10W during the winter for th e rear end, and manual transmissions. This was pre steel belted tire days, so the nylon cords would freeze with a flat spot on the bottom of your tire s. It was called 'The land of the square tires', and they issued you a cert ificate for surviving a year there.

The official record low was -69F at the NWS site, over a heated building, t he unofficial low was -79F, at an unheated test site.

I doubt that an EV would be worth a damn under these conditions. Heat pumps are useless at those temperatures, and I have doubts that the lubricants i n the electric motors would be any good.

How much power would you need to even bring the interior up to zero, let al one anything comfortable? How many miles would you get on a full charge?

Reply to
Michael Terrell

On Saturday, 29 June 2019 10:53:48 UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: ...

So wouldn't it be better to save the valuable oil for making materials and fertilizers rather than sending it up in smoke?

Oil is too valuable a chemical feedstock to waste where there are good alternatives.

Solar power has some advantages in places such as India where it can provide great benefits without high investments in infrastructure.

Reply to
keith wright

On Saturday, 29 June 2019 10:56:23 UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: ..

upply

This seems to assume no further technical developments. What about phosphat e cathodes, other metal based chemistries such as sodium or potassium. How about super capacitors? All those reduce or eliminate cobalt.

Induction or reluctance switch motors don't use any rare-earth metals and t he innovations such as the Halbach array that Tesla uses can reduce the amo unt used for the magnets with permanent magnet motors.

Yes, there are challenges but there is also room for innovation.

Reply to
keith wright

On Sunday, 30 June 2019 08:55:08 UTC-7, Michael Terrell wrote: ..

Electric vehicles are designed for operation down to -40C.

The peak power and range available is lowered below freezing but they are still very viable, see their acceptance in Norway.

Reply to
keith wright

I saw this documentary about Russian truck drivers in Siberia. During the winter months, they had to get up 90 minutes early to start a fire under the engines of their trucks. Yes, a REAL actual FIRE! They'd let it burn for over an hour to loosen everything up, then fire 'em up. This method was primitive, but didn't require any electrical supply which might fail or be unavailable wherever they'd parked up, and it worked 100% of the time. Russians. Yeah, *they're* the boys.