Re: Electric Cars Not Yet Viable

That's the real "green" agenda. Few of those people really care about the planet, much less care about people. Green politics is just an alternate path to power and money.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

True enough; many metropolitan areas have grown some variety of people-mover. Transit systems with tunnel elements (maybe including hyperloop) are a likely short-haul innovation.

Now, that ignores the transit problem entirely, and detours to castigate some nebulous 'them' instead. Obviously there's power, politics, money in any major element of infrastructure, but let's not obsess on that!

Last time I visited San Francisco, I left the rental parked and got a taxi; the locals may know how to get where they were going, but driving was NOT the most effective way for a visitor to get places. Green isn't the engineering problem, SOLVE THE TRAFFIC NETWORK.

Reply to
whit3rd

In a free market, there is no transit problem. Let people decide where to live and how to travel.

I drive to work and to shop and everything. We do hike down into Glen Park Village, on mostly dirt lanes.

This is on my way home from work:

I rarely see another car on the twisty part of Vermont. Tourists wait hours to zigzag down Lombard.

San Francisco is a collection of rural vollages and a small hyper-dense Downtown. We rarely go downtown. It does make sense to take Bart or a taxi or Uber if we have to go into the dense parts of town.

We do need another Bay Bridge and more lanes on US101 and I280, but the greenies will never allow that. They'd rather pile on taxes and waste the money on the Railroad to Nowhere

Frank Lloyd Wright designed a reall cool bay bridge, the Southern Crossing.

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

People, rather than alligators, DO make those decisions. Never the usesr, though, rather the owners... The 'free market' for roads would never have given us the interstate highway system (in fact, remnant toll roads are STILL an impediment in many places). I've had to navigate through too many stops for toll-paying.

The 'free market' would never have coughed up anything as useful as the internet, either. There's no PR machine telling you that public works are superior for connectivity, but... they are.

Reply to
whit3rd

The "free market" gave Richmond the "Nickle Bridge" which is now $0.35 buil t by the Boulevard Bridge Corp., a ten cent toll gave the original investor s an "81.5 percent rate of return". Eventually the toll was raised to the present cost in spite of the fact that the bridge has been paid for many, m any times over.

"Free market" for roads results in excessive tolls that are never removed.

--

  Rick C.

  --+-+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+-+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Large industrial sites, especially metal or paper works already have such connections. Look at the high voltage lines going to such sites.

The largest sensible (unsegmented) conductor diameter is 15-20 mm (150

wire) so the maximum current is in the order of 500 A/phase.

If I understand correctly, the most common medium voltage feed at residential areas in the USA is 14 kV, so such cable could supply 12 MW. With 132 kV HV line voltage about 100 MW.

So if a truck has 1000 kWh batteries that needs to be charged in less than 1 hour, less than a dozen such trucks could be charged resp. less than 100 trucks could be charged simultaneously.

What is the current residential area medium voltage feed conductor diameter is an other question and limits the number of trucks that can be charged simultaneously from existing networks.

While I have heard horror stories about the problems with the electrification systems in the USA, I still do not believe that _leakage_ would be the problem.

More likely the problem is due to missed upgrades, now existing networks are used at too high current densities. It should be noted

.

cases. This either requires increasing the conductors cross section by installing new lines or using higher voltage lines to keep the current density at reasonable levels.

Running the system at the edge will increase the risk of complete collapse.

While in Europe a supercharging station might just barely work from the 230/400 V low voltage network, but in the USA, you definitely going to need a distribution transformer connected to a 14 kV medium voltage network. For a big truck stop, you might even need a 132 kV connection.

These various size charging stations have some degree of intelligence so the power generation people would have some control of their usage, e.g. so that they can limit the number of new loads connected at once.

There is time for them. How many electric trucks are on the road these days ?

Reply to
upsidedown

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They feed into and utilize their own substation at that node.

Residences get drops. Ready to go. Downstream from a substation.

An industrial site gets to build their own step down house (substation) Depending on their needs.

What do you think it takes to feed an inductive blast furnace?

Even the more efficient electric arc furnaces use a LOT of juice.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Overhead power lines run the current on the smaller guage wire wrap on the cable's outer diameter and the carry strand for the weight is in the center. Skin effect is minimized. Diameters are larger than that which you state.

Bundled HV cables run some 46 cm in diameter.

You say 'sensible' as if you are unaware of modern HV transmission line construction and how they abate skin effect issues.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

_leakage_ IS currently the MAIN problem with our grid. Bad, old, leaky insulators, good insulators that need cleaning.

There are leakage paths all over the place, and I have lived in places where while travelling to work on my bike at 4:30 in the morning and hearing huge amount of leakage, and even smelling the Ozone falling off the things... WAY too much.

We already pay for those losses. We do not need to further tax the system. We need to replace much of it FIRST. BEFORE we go adding another ten percent or more to the entire grid loading.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It seems that even if a viable offering existed, we are not yet ready to integrate them into a trucking company's profile. Up front costs are high, and the ROI would be decades in length.

They already operate pretty thin.

It's gonna be a bit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I was generously giving you the benefit of the doubt.

There may be a joke to be made out of the acoustic similarity of the words "impotent" and "important" but this isn't it. Go back and take a few lessons in elementary word-play, and shut up until you've got through the basics.

No. Whatever you have - and it seems to be serviously disabling - doesn't seem to be contagious over the web.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You clearly need it from somebody.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Yes, it most certainly is exactly that. Doh!

You should have quit when you were behind.

Impotent it is! Bwuahahahahahahahahah!

That's OK, both it and you are also... not important.

So yes... Impotent... and yes... NOT important.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Figure it out, dipshit. I DELIBERATELY IGNORED your "idea" remark. Doh!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news:4ea5cfd4-3f4a-4a97- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Not true, and for one thing because YOU wouldn't and do not know. You rank below abject idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That's what they all say when they get caught out.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

How would you know? We all know that you might find it comforting to think that, but "knowing" implies a bit more than that.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bill Sloman wrote in news:b909ca2f-73c8-4dd3- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Fuck you, BillyWad. Back in the s*****ad bin.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You do leave it from time to time, but it is starting to look like your natural home.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to