Re: Electric Cars Not Yet Viable

More like 5% around here. One actually does give us a free beer now and then, to fortify us for the hike up to where I park.

We like dive bars that look and smell like proper bars.

I asked our bartenderess at GPS (Glen Park Station), if they had any good rum, like Ron Zacapa or 10Cane or something.

"This ain't that kind of joint, honey."

But you can order pizza from down the street, and they deliver.

OK, now gotta hike down into old town Truckee for the 4th Of July Parade. Fire trucks, old vets in old convertibles, girl scout troops, flags and bunting, all that old-fasioned patriotism.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Bill Sloman wrote in news:94a99a24-b7ea-450c- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You keep blathering about rail density and people moving.

How many of your electric trains are 2 miles long pulling thousands of tons of freight.

I'd be willing to bet that EU runs much shorter trains.

The US freight rail system is pretty economical. You crying about the weight of the locomotive when that weight is trivial in a loaded up train to pull.

Overhead electrical lines pose huge problems, and not just making new locomotive engines to accomodate them.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I know of one not too far from Fermi lab that does (a) free beer with their lunchtime meal on one particularly quiet day of the week.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 10:50:11 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrot e:

Because unlike the wild west, we have laws about how much a person can driv e before resting. Unless you want to pay two people to move your load, it has to stop periodically for the driver to rest. No real need for battery pack swaps.

You are aware they already do that, right? The down side is trains are ver y slow. They often average only 30 miles per hour and individual loads can be slower sitting in a rail yard waiting for a different train to take it further. Expect a cross country trip to take two weeks.

road testing them, right?

tly is the charging infrastructure. While it is very good for taking autos on trips, they use eight charging stalls to charge a semi. They will need to build new semi charging stations. Unlike autos which will be charged m ainly at home, semis will mainly be charged on the road. They will likely only sell semis for specific routes initially and build the charging networ k to suit, expanding the routes and sales together. Or they might initiall y sell to short haul markets where charging can be done overnight at the ow ner's facility.

a car because the relatively small surface area doesn't impact the battery drain much. But on a tractor trailer the surface is *much* larger. I wond er if this could be used to greatly increase the range with a lot fewer bat teries.

Yeah, I found a page that shows a class-8 truck using 160 kW for level grou nd at 65 mph.

--

  Rick C.

  ++++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

So what? Most big cities are pretty close to that already. You can get a car into the city centre, but it always takes ages, and usually costs a bomb.

The people who keep on using them are mostly making the point that they can afford to waste time and money drivng around in a (generally expensive) car.

Once was more than enough.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Bullshit. It is about a MATCHED delivery JOB. Stopping ten more times per thousand miles is 100% unacceptable and INCREASES trip time and driver labors.

Nope. It MUST be able to perform trip runs in the same time windows we now have.

You apparently do not get the requisite, because you keep coming back with more labor intensive, more ridiculous means to move between two points on a map.

MAYBE they could do short haul city trips with those short trailer... MAYBE.

Still not even viable yet for that.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Your criteria is not important. The criteria of those who buy semis is important.

--

  Rick C.

  +++++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +++++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Zero bits along a highway you dope.

Inductive charging at STOP points and intersections MAYBE, but not any on-the-move methods. That would suck even more juice and the grid boys won't like that. At intersections the amount and the user would get logged.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

ric motor are better adapted to providing the necessary torque at the wheel s over the wide range of rotation rates needed.

t of the train save enough - in reduced load to be shifted - to pay for the overhead wiring along the whole lenght of the track.

- makes electrification more attractive, because it is a a one-off cost, an d you have to lug power generating unit along with every load you shift.

ill pay to use the train, or shift freight on it.

many - but it's average per capita income is a whole lot lower.

ey save money on every train trip. Lugging the diesel part of a diesel elec tric locomotive around costs money on every trip, and the overhead wires sa ve that on every trip.

Not sure what you are talking about. The weight of the diesel motors is no t an important factor in trains. In fact, they used to use "Bud" cars on a local line which had a motor in every car! Talk about weight inefficient. Clearly the railroad doesn't care.

--

[...]

The solar powered cars do get along at decent speed.

A loaded tractor trailer is lot heavier.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You need to get off your hobby horse boy.

I have missed nothing and your closing remarks like this one, means you should simply be ignored, because that is what an insulting punk f*ck like you deserves.

Actually you deserve a nice bludgeoning, but they do not let us do that to stupid bastards like you any more.

You cannot even see simple facts about something as simple as a

555 timer chip. So now I am back to knowing (again) that the descriptions about you by others is accurate.

Fuck Off And Die, dipshit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Why are you so opposed to learning anything? The target for Tesla semis is the over the road hauling where your current limitation is the rest time required by the driver. An electric semi can charge while the driver is taking his break.

Do you deny this?

--

  Rick C.

  -----+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -----+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I would rather bet that you have ZERO grasp on what typical EEs lives are like.

You are silly stuff, and your bent mentality is a glaring example of that.

You spout as if factual but what you just spouted was utter bullshit, and based on zero statistics other then your own life circumstance.

How well do you think the $9.00 an hour Boeing engineers live?

The stats you spout are bullshit, and you have done it in other areas as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

But not by much. Your idea of what might be acceptable has been presumably mined from your rather-less-than creative imagination.

If the price is right, the end customer is likely to be more flexible.

Trucks are labour intensive. Putting the containers on properly automated railway system makes a lot more sense.

For a while all inland freight moved around on railways, but trucks got practical before containers were invented, and America missed that particular boat.

In your ever-so-well-informed opinion.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You are misquoting me. I said have a meal, not have a coffee.

Today I am driving up to Frederick to have dinner. I think my usual meal stop may not be a meal stop. It will truly be a charging stop... unless I decide to have a light lunch at the Sheetz. I much prefer a Wawa.

Once the charging station in Frederick is ready I'll be able to charge much more effectively. It will still be twice per round trip, but one will be light to get me around town and the other will be larger to get me down and back.

As the market matures there will be a lot more convenient charging locations.

--

  Rick C.

  ----+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ----+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Clarke's second law notwithstanding, it is a difficult balance. We all (should) get it wrong sometimes, particularly if the penalty is minor.

Sounds like the stuff which dissolves spoons.

I always remember when I was a kid and my parents got coffee in a cafe, they always had to insist it was "strong", i.e. not overdiluted with (cheaper) milk.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

As usual, you are the dope here. Remote sensing of what truck is passing over which string of inductive loops is entirely practical, and the user could get looged on the move just as easily as when stopped at an intersection.

Thirty years ago Eric Laithwaite spelled out a scheme for magnetically levitated and driven trains. Tapping off some of the drive power for the services on the moving train was part of the package.

People have put the idea into practice on a small scale.

It isn't remotely a truck replacement scheme, but it might give you some insight into some of the basics for recharging on the move.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

We have electric rail lines in the US. The northeast corridor runs electric trains. They are also in other places in the US. I'm not aware of any limitations on the size of freight trains due to electric locomotives.

I think you are talking through your hat.

--

  Rick C.

  ----+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ----+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

ctric motor are better adapted to providing the necessary torque at the whe els over the wide range of rotation rates needed.

out of the train save enough - in reduced load to be shifted - to pay for t he overhead wiring along the whole lenght of the track.

k - makes electrification more attractive, because it is a a one-off cost, and you have to lug power generating unit along with every load you shift.

will pay to use the train, or shift freight on it.

ermany - but it's average per capita income is a whole lot lower.

they save money on every train trip. Lugging the diesel part of a diesel el ectric locomotive around costs money on every trip, and the overhead wires save that on every trip.

not an important factor in trains. In fact, they used to use "Bud" cars on a local line which had a motor in every car! Talk about weight inefficien t. Clearly the railroad doesn't care.

The weight of the total load being shifted clearly does matter.

The fact that you can buy electricity from the grid much more cheaply than yu can get it by running a mobile diesel--power generator is probaby a bigg er factor.

Suburban railways, just moving passengers, aren't all that weight conscious . The trick there is to be able to put together long trains to move a lot p assengers at once at peak hours, and serve the same route with shorter trai ns when the demand it less. One motor in every car makes it lot easier to a djust the number of cars in a particular train running at a particular time .

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Woosh!