Re: Eagle CAD software problems..MORE

> ..since at least Eagle ver 5 if not earlier.

>> Did you know that the produced Gerbers in cases DO NOT reflect what >> you see on the screen? >> >> Now, someone pointed out that Gerbers are vector. >> True,but that has noting to do with fonts or anything else except the >> Gerber strokes as a collection, are supposed to represent the original: >> a PCB pad, a logo scribble, Cyrilic font, Arabic font, or any other font >> AS CREATED AND SEEN ON THE SCREEN. >> >> MOST irritating is that any text in proportional font on the screen >> is rendered as their vector font. >> >> Next, that the (vector font) characters look stunted; most especially >> the "R" looks as if its legs were sawed off. >> The screen version is elegant; you will NOT get what you see. >> >> Also, some of the vector font symbols are totally trashed, for >> there is no replacement unless one wishes to construct one using a >> circle and (at least on the screen) a "R"; result has the inelegant and >> trashy looking vector font "R". >> >> Such junk is not seen unless one uses an independent Gerber viewer. >> ** >> >> Now, on occasion, a layer may "inherit" AND/OR "ghost" something from >> another layer, and move the position as well. >> In one particular case, (so to speak) without asking, a text got >> solder-masked (the "ghost" because i never saw it since i do not bother >> turning that layer on). And that solder mask was (o be polite) >> mis-positioned. >> At the same time, a placed circle (layer 1 Top, made for no hole in >> center) got duplicated in layer 30 Bstop and position was changed (here >> is the "ghosting"). >> Furthermore, that layer 1 circle got duplicated in layer 290 Tstop >> and the position was ALSO changed. >> The result was a total mess >> ** >> SO, VERY carefully review ALL layers on the screen at minimum and fix >> as needed. >> Use a Gerber viewer to double-check the results, especially fonts. >> >> Naturally, because a rich owner of Eagle has decided to also be >> greedy, expect these problems WILL NEVER be fixed. > Well, I just discovered yet another condition where you do NOT get what you see on the screen. > Try printing to a PDF; text with NO regard to (source/screen) font will be severely altered. > Seems there may be NO work-around, so documentation may be curtailed... > >

I've been writing a gerber parser lately and thus researched the topic a bit. There's a line type that eagle and ossibly other tools produce that's not in ucamcos standard. namely line type 22. there are some in the gerbv testcases (am-test.gbr). There may also be some bugs in some renderers with respect to overlapping primitives ending up wrong. You might need a veryfing Gerber parser or sthg...

Reply to
Johann Klammer

So you were able to find undocumented fonts (line type 22?) that one cannot use? What i complained about is seen by various Gerber viewers and thus from Eagle. Hell, there is inconsistency *IN* Eagle, most especially with characters/symbols/glyphs in Eagle fonts. Try the registered trademark symbol as i previously noted. Even the "work-around" using a circle and an "R" gets munged because their "proportional font" gets transformed to their "vector font" which gets transformed from "see" mode to Gerber mode; ALSO different that using their print option to a PDF printer.

Reply to
Robert Baer

No that was just one way to draw a line (macro primitive) that isn't in the Specification. (the first entry) Sec 4.5.4.1

Gerber does not know any fonts at all. Everything is composed of circular arcs and lines. (contours and strokes) You should always be using the stroked font. It's likely internal to eagle anyway. Also not surprising they don't have your TM. probably no linear b glyps either.

Reply to
Johann Klammer

Yes, yes, yes. What does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

If one gives the CORRECT set of instructions, one can render any shape,squiggle, etc.

My complaint is that Eagle DOES NOT do that; the result is NOT WHAT ONE SEES in Eagles screen.

Reply to
Robert Baer