Re: DSP System

How hard is it to actually implement a DSP system?

> > >I've been looking at the TMS320C6720 and some conversion devices and it >seems I can gather all the components needed but I really don't have a good >idea about how to go and implement something like that. The pdf's I've >looked at on TI's don't really go into detail about how to actually put >something together(atleast the one's I've seen).

I'd choose an Analog Devices. These are much more suitable for general purpose processing than the TI components. There is also a big user base and free tools. Just google for Blackfin and gcc.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I second on the AD DSPs. There is more common sense in the ADI CPU architecture compared to that of TI. The documentation is more convenient also.

Yes, for those who like the junk code there is a lot of it.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Seems though that the components are less powerful for the same price(or more)? I'll look into it some more though. Just glancing over the datasheets for the Blackfin was pretty disappointing compared to the TMS. Of course I'm probably comparing apples and oranges.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Don't just stare at megahertz and mips. AD has a long track record in DSPs and they know what they are doing. If you want to make a good comparison, you'll really need to figure out how powerfull the instruction set is and how well the peripherals unload the CPU by using FIFOs and DMA.

Some processors may need -say- 10 instructions to perform a certain operation while others processors may be more clever and only need 1 instruction. If the first processor can do 10mips and the second processor does 2mips, the second processor will still be twice as fast as the first.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Sure... I guess if I can find a cheap DSP and some instructions on how to setup the hardware then I might go with that. Since it would be the first time its better that I finish than worry about the speed of it. I really need to spend more time at AD's sight ;)

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter