Re: DSO to measure charging battery?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 02:11:31 -0000 (UTC), John Doe

My Rigol will go 1000 seconds per cm, which is 2.7 hours per sweep,
and you could let several traces overlap without too much confusion.

Re: DSO to measure charging battery?

Usually not, I think.  For one example, the popular Rigol DS1xxx
family has sweeps that go as slow as 50 seconds/division, so you can
sweep for a few minutes, but not hours.

This should be a very practical approach.  The Rigol speaks SCPI (I
suspect this is a popular approach) via the USB interface.  You should
be able to trigger a sweep every few seconds, or once a minute, or
etc. and then upload as much of the trace as you want (for
e.g. filtering/averaging purposes) and store the data and then plot it
with e.g. gnuplot.

I did something like this a few years ago to see if the Deltron
Battery Tender Jr. worked the way the manufacturer said that it did,
when recharging my big deep-cycle battery.  In this case I used an old
HP DVM with a GPIB interface, which reads out twice a second... I
grabbed the data via a Prologix serial-to-GPIB adapter, averaged 30
seconds' worth of samples, and output the result, and then used
gnuplot to show the battery terminal voltage over time.  The charger
worked just as advertised.

Re: DSO to measure charging battery?

Must have some impressive phosphor :)
I was looking at some old CRT scopes today including a tiny Cossor not much bigger than the tube itself. I suspect a megahertz would have been too much to ask of that one.

NT

Re: DSO to measure charging battery?

There was actually a CRT phosphor with infinite persistance.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c8/Hospitalier_Ondograph.png/270px-Hospitalier_Ondograph.png

http://www.myvintagetv.com/oscilloscopes/homebrew_side.jpg

Horrible stuff.

Re: DSO to measure charging battery?

It can't have produced light indefinitely, was it he one that left a darkened trace line?

The Telequipment Serviscope managed all of 30kHz. But in fairness it was never meant to be a real scope.

NT

Re: DSO to measure charging battery?

Yes, P10 dark trace, erased with heat or UV.

Today's digital color scopes are fabulous, and inflation-adjusted
about 50x cheaper than that old tube iron.

A Tek 547 with a decent plugin cost about as much as a Chevrolet.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: DSO to measure charging battery?
range

.
kened trace line?
t much bigger than the tube itself. I suspect a megahertz would have been t
oo much to ask of that one.
Ondograph.png/270px-Hospitalier_Ondograph.png
 never meant to be a real scope.

Some of these people are completely out of touch with reality, which is fin
e until they reach the point of being unable to assimilate new knowledge.

This little gizmo, which is kinda cheap, has a selectable acquisition rate
of 1Hz, streams data in roll mode, and could allow you to record data conti
nuously like forever.

https://www.amazon.com/VT-DSO-2810R-8-16Bit-100MSPS-Oscilloscope/dp/B00VF7S
ZWC

More specs:
https://www.virtins.com/VT-DSO-2810R.shtml

Roll Mode
(Streaming Mode for Low Frequency Signals)    Limited only by the computer mem
ory available.
Roll Mode is allowed when fs ? 1MHz and [Record Length] ?    4

s computer speed and software setting dependent.

page 16 here:
https://www.virtins.com/VT-DSO-2810R-Manual.pdf

Re: DSO to measure charging battery?

I've never met one of those in the flesh. Or in the glass. Or maybe have but it was switched off.

Progress marches on. My old Telequipment storage scope still has its place though.

NT

Re: DSO to measure charging battery?

The Tektronix 4000 series graphic terminals used a memory-tube architecture; each
lit pixel was (after activation by an electron beam) maintained by a secondary power
source.   The display (about a megapixel) was its own memory buffer.  The 4014 was
the best graphic output device of its day, at a (monochrome, one-bit) resolution comparable
to today's TVs.

The storage-tube CRTs were the parent of those graphics monsters of the 1970s.

Other CRT memory (machine-readable, not visual) was available, up to a few
megabytes per tube, before semiconductor memory filled that need.

Re: DSO to measure charging battery?

CRT storage goes way back, used for RAM. A big improvement on mercury delay lines AIUI.

NT

Re: DSO to measure charging battery?

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_tube

Re: DSO to measure charging battery?

I remember hearing an anecdote about the original MIT "stored program"
computer system, which used storage-tube memory of this sort.  The
tubes suffered from age-related problems - I guess the phosphor layer
which acted as the active storage plane tended to "burn" with time, as
phosphors do.

The maintenance engineers had program decks that they could read into
the computer which would perform pattern tests on the memory, and (I'm
told) in those tubes, you could look at them and see which bits or
regions were aging - the illuminated bit positions would be dimmer, as
the phosphor aged.

One of the grad students decided to be funny, wrote up a new test
program, punched it out in binary code form, and substituted it for
the maintenance engineer's normal test deck.

During the next maintenance period, the engineers booted the test
program... and it immediately froze.  They reset, booted it again, and
it froze again.

They opened up the machine cabinet to start diagnosing the
problem... and there, glaring out at them from the array of memory
tubes, was an unprintable four-letter word.

A stern memo was circulated through the department not long
thereafter, admonishing the faculty and students that the maintenance
program decks were _not_ to be tampered with.

Site Timeline