Re: Could the E-CAT Fusion be real?

Able Abel pickled the nickel.

Reply to
Androcles

Here is a conservative forum site and there are many articles here on ecat that get lots of comments. The comments are all over the map. Peruse them if you like:

brent

Repeatedly old news. Note this article January 19th:

Publication is through puff pieces (my words) in "New Energy Times" and "Infinite Energy," which are essentially zero-impact science mags. They are also choosing to publish in periodicals for non-English-speaking audiences, the article also notes.

They didn't say which, but for example the Indian science publication called "Current Science," which is the supposed "pre-eminent" Indian science journal, has an impact factor of

0.9. Nature and Science have impact factors of about 30, just for comparison.

I noted some contrasts in the above link I provided:

(1) "This result was achieved without the production of any measurable nuclear radiation." This is NOT possible for cold fusion, as ALL known fusion of atomic nuclei create radiation products that are measurable. This suggests either that they are lying about it (it does produce radiation, they know it, but don't want to say so) or else that it isn't a nuclear fusion process. So far as we know, there is no method of producing energy for free through chemical means, either. Only fusion allows for excesses and even then it isn't a violation of energy conservation, but instead the inclusion of the atmoic nucleus into the larger picture. I believe they are not lying about the radiation. Just lying about the rest of it. My opinion, of course.

(2) "Dr. Levi and his team will be producing a technical report detailing the design and execution of their evaluation." This does NOT say they will disclose details sufficient for others to replicate the results. Note the careful wording. There is NO REASON not to disclose the science (if known) and the engineering details -- no rights are lost so far as I'm aware (I'm no international lawyer, though.)

(3) They filed for one patent with the International Patent Classification system (IPC) and classified it as C01B 3/00. For one thing, the IPC allows only very broad descriptions, which allows them to completely obscure the cold fusion aspects. Also, as filed under that designation, it will only be reviewed by a chemist, who may or may not know anything about cold fusion, fusion generally, or nuclear physics.

(4) In their patent filing, their first claim is: "1. A method for carrying out an isothermal reaction of nickel and hydrogen, characterized in -that said method comprises injecting hydrogen into a metal tube filled by a nickel powder, even of nanometric dimensions, or nickel granules or bars, in a high temperature and pressurized hydrogen gas saturated environment, thereby generating energy." There is no mention of where the "energy" comes from and as I've noted above, I also don't believe there was any radiation so I don't believe there was any fusion, either. Since it's entirely possible for normal chemical reactions to produce, say, 12kW of energy (it's done all the time), who knows? This whole thing could easily be an illusionist's trick.

(5) The patent 'description' does mention fusion and fission (which is odd and suggestive to me that words are being bandied about without knowledge.)

(6) Patent law (IPC in particular) has a terrible flaw in that an inventor cannot be denied a patent just because their theory of how it works is incorrect, so long as the device actually works. So this "demonstration" and the "report" that Levi will later produce is absolutely essential here. Without any publication of the science, and so far as I'm aware that hasn't yet happened, he could be denied. But with a "documented demonstration" the chemist will have to either give in and provide the patent or else go to extreme lengths (unlikely.)

(7) The patent author writes, "The exothermal reaction thereon Applicant's invention is based differs from those adopted by prior searchers since the inventor has not tried to demonstrate an emission of elementary particles supporting a validity of a theory, but he has exclusively tried to provide an amount of energy larger than the consumed energy amount, to just achieve a practical method and apparatus for generating an energy amount larger than the consumed energy, and this by exploiting nuclear energy generating processes starting from electrochemical energy. Thus, the inventive apparatus has been specifically designed for producing the above mentioned energy in a reliable, easily controllable, safe, repeatable manner, for any desired applications." How do you read that??? It essentially says that he hasn't even attempted to prove fusion takes place but that he merely "wants" this thing to work.

Not very convincing stuff. Your articles also don't fill me with confidence. Read them carefully and skeptically and you will see the same as I do, I suspect.

Anyway, you wanted an opinion. There one is for what it is worth.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Clearly bogus:

John

It's real stupid, yeah. Just another one of those incredible breakthroughs you never hear about ever. Hey, whatever happened to Starlite? Wasn't that supposed to change everything 20 years ago?

a7yvm109gf5d1

amdx set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:

Do you mean nickel throughout?

Has the gamma radiation been identified with a known isomer? What happens during those 20 minutes?

Seems like bogus. Unlike with the FTL neutrinos, they don't seem to have invited the scientific community to try to replicate the results.

--
?:) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply
Reply to
Prai Jei

...buy a spaceship with Warp Drive...

Michael A. Terrell

Sure, but only when you don't have any Dilithium Crystals. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

The problem with cold fusion is that if it produced any usable amount of power, the radiation would kill any researchers nearby.

Scientific fraud is a very weird thing.

John

Captain Kirk doesn't know it but while he was extremely drunk Scotty replaced the Enterprise's Dilithium Crystals with Folger's Crystals. He will soon find out, when the enemy uncloaks three ships, ready to attack... ;-)

It would be nice.

Wishful thinking.

Bad engineering.

Fraud, to get a huge research grant or sucker investors.

Michael A. Terrell

Bologna

=46rom the little bit i could find, it looks like he has stumbled on a = cross between a Nickel-Hydrogen rechargeable battery and a fuel cell. It won't scale to megawatt if that is the case.

?-/

Reply to
josephkk

From the little bit i could find, it looks like he has stumbled on a cross between a Nickel-Hydrogen rechargeable battery and a fuel cell. It won't scale to megawatt if that is the case.

?-/ ================================================ From little acorns mighty oak trees grow. From the humble cat's whisker grew broadcasting, amplification, TV, transistors, computers, personal cell phones and it ain't over yet. I don't need megawatts, nor do I want to recharge every day.

Reply to
Androcles