Re: Cordless drill powered bike

Me like. Like its predecessor using a low power Dewalt cordless

> drill, > this one rocks. Now that Dewalt makes 9 amp hour batteries we are > talking some serious distance. I think it's better than a hub moter > with > its conglomerate of peripherals. Throttle control is a cheep Revo > shifter with the latching mechanism removed. Simple as pie. It > requires > a freewheeling pedal hub (like on drift trikes) and a method for > attaching the drill to the freewheeling pedal hub axle. > >
> That one is unfinished, but gives the general idea. > (let me know if you have trouble viewing, will provide pictures > apart > from Flickr) > > My 5 amp hour batteries are plenty for now. A round trip to the > local > megastore easily on one battery (no spares). I just got caught in a > rainstorm coming back from buying some groceries. Put a grocery bag > over > the drill and its battery, tied tightly, and rode through the > downpour.

When I worked for Segway I experimented with how they fit into lifestyles. They might be fine for urban apartment dwellers in ice-free climates but anything less than a car doesn't work if you have a house in the suburbs. For me the minimum is a smaller SUV with a roof rack to carry lumber and roofing panels. I just brought home a compact refrigerator in it. Bicycles and motorcycles are nearly useless in northern winters.

I attended an electric vehicle show that a local college hosted and test-drove the BMW i3, which is a blast to drive though impractical for my use, with its EPA-rule-limited tiny gas tank. They can travel 3 to 4 miles per KWH which brings them into the range of practicability to recharge with a rooftop solar array.

The cost per mile using grid power is ~2/3 of my gasoline Honda's. The initial cost for a new one is ridiculous but off-lease ones were reasonable.

I already recharge most of my batteries (except NiCad/Nimh) with solar power and home made charge controllers. Lead-acids are easy. Lithium isn't too difficult but you need to know and strictly observe the voltage and current limitations of the batteries you have. When NiCads are too dead for their dedicated charger they can be partially charged and restored to service.

If you can't design circuits this does the job, though it may hop below the maximum power point and draw Isc short-circuit current at low voltage from the panel. A linear regulator is more stable.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You object to your own misunderstanding. Of course they can use an electric bike for recreation but it's very difficult and restricting to rely on a bicycle or motorcycle as their only transportation, unless they can buy all the services they need or depend on sympathetic friends, like someone I know.

BTDT, in college and living in Europe. It's only a toy.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You are a hobbyist. If you were involved with personal transporters as commercial products like I was it would be vital to understand and meet the needs of people who for various reasons don't own a car, and may have difficulty walking. The market for electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters is quite large.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Amazingly enough, there seems to be a reasonably large market, or at least people think there is, for e-bikes, too.

Reply to
krw

torsdag den 6. september 2018 kl. 20.05.52 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com:

I recently tried one of those rented electric bikes, was brilliant, charged by the minute from you take it out of the charging station till you put it back in a charging station, without breaking a sweat it gets across town faster than you could find a parking spot

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I know they're big deals in Asia and I can imagine there's a lot going for them in Europe, too. I don't buy it in the US, though. There is nowhere I'd ride one here.

Reply to
krw

torsdag den 6. september 2018 kl. 21.10.46 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com:

sure it depends on shortish distances and roads with room for bikes, you don't want to zigzag between SUVs and trucks

here even the postal service use E-bikes in the city

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

What EPA rule limits the fuel tank size? My Gen 2 Volt has a range-extender engine as well, less all-electric range than the i3 about

65 miles on a good day, but an ~8 gallon fuel tank.

The trick is to have a girlfriend who lives down the street from a free public charging station. So long as I date the same woman I get to drive about a thousand miles a month on not much more than $15-20 worth of fuel. It's okay we seem to get along pretty well.

Reply to
bitrex

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And out of millions of working models exactly ZERO are powered by a cordless drill motor.

It is one of those Arsenio Hall moments.

Doe boy gots too much bone matter between his ears.

Pea sized is supposed to be your pituitary, not your brain size.

Maybe you'll do better in your next life if God brings you back as a slug.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I was put off when the salesman told me about the artificial restriction and didn't listen too closely.

"CARB describes this type of electric vehicle as "a relatively high-electric range battery-electric vehicle (BEV) to which an APU is added." The unit, which maintains battery charge at about 30% after the pack has been depleted in normal use, is strictly limited in the additional range it can provide, and delivers a minimum 75 mi (121 km) electric range."

"European models have a 9 L (2.0 imp gal; 2.4 US gal) fuel tank while American models have the same tank though software-limited to a capacity of 1.9 gallons."

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I decided long ago that 20 miles was my limit for romance, partly the result of a relationship with a lady lawyer who lived in Juneau. Later I changed that to "20 miles or the Bay Bridge, and no lawyers."

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

She lives exactly 26.2 miles away so I suppose my limit is 30. it's a

95% highway-speed ride I drive 7 minutes to the on ramp, straight in one direction for 22 miles, then 3 minutes from the off ramp there. Easy! (so long as it's not rush hour.)
Reply to
bitrex

The way to get the best out of a car like the Volt in that arrangement is to burn gas on the highway there and back, where at speeds 70+ it's most efficient to use the ICE to ideally get 42, 43 mpg, and use the car as a "charge truck" to truck the charge from the free charger back home. Then run down the battery charge over the course of a few days on errands in around-town lower speed stop-and-go traffic.

If you time your visits right you arrive back there with just about 0 charge left, and repeat.

Reply to
bitrex

You really are one stupid piece of work, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

I looked at a number of plug-ins and plug-in hybrids when I was first in the market for one back in 2015, the i3 was one of them it just didn't offer enough for the price and paying that for the BMW name is hardly something important to me.

GM holds a number of patents on the series-hybrid extended-range EV topology; the 1.5L 4 cyl range extender engine in the Volt does the logical thing and uses the engine to spin a generator to drive the drive motors when operating in that mode, like a diesel locomotive. It can also use the engine to recharge the battery too, if you select that, but if the engine can drive the wheels directly there's not much use for that operating mode I almost never use it.

The final cap cost on my Gen 2 Volt after the state rebate and Federal tax incentive was well under 30k and that's for one that even has a few nice options.

Reply to
bitrex

or "electrically-directly", rather

Reply to
bitrex

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news:4lk3pd1i65dsp6dia4dg34cbb5u4brn8p0@

4ax.com:

4ax.com:

You would lose in a bar meeting.

You are one stupid f*ck piss poor example of an American community member.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You're always wrong, AlwaysWrong. It's a truly amazing record.

Reply to
krw

That sounds like a huge hassle. I just get in my car and go.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Also here in Berlin, Germany - with smaller front baggage racks. Here the postal service(s) use the basic non-electric bikes too.

Reply to
Dimitrij Klingbeil