Re: Computer mouse switch debouncing

John Doe wrote in news:qb5th6$l0u$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Some mouse users complain about double-clicking when it should be > single clicking. So I'm looking around for information. One guy > says Logitech told him to remove the batteries and then click the > buttons 30 times.

After thousands of cycles, the switch contacts get impinged on by their brothers and start to fail. We press mouse switches with our finger rather lightly. IF you take a disconnected or unhooked or bettery removed mouse and do this keypress operation, you should also press on that switch slightly harder than you do in use. What you are doing is burninshing the contacts against each other.

There is no debounce on logi mice, at least not the old ones. I have had several that would multi-count keypresses. And not do so if the keypress is more firm.

It may be that the driver 'sees' the noisey key and has no circuitry to filter that and sends two presses to the OS.

I doubt much debounce at all, since gamers do not like any form of latency.

That would be for resetting software? Does that

mean the debouncing takes place in software? If that makes > sense... Do they use software debouncing to save money? > > This is noncritical. Any general comments about the subject > appreciated. > > Thanks.
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Piglet wrote in news:qb60ii$7bn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Rub-a-dub-dub. Definitely the switch.

Keeping old mice around, especially if you are brand loyal or model loyal even (I always buy a ball mouse) can help as you can use virtually unused "right mouse button" switches (or center)to replace old, worn left mouse buttons.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Sure they debounce in software. The battery/click thing probably forces a uP reset which may help semehow.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Probably the mouse switch. They wear out fairly easily. I see the problem often and simply replace the switch. They can be found in the usual places for about 10 pcs for $5 or 100 pcs for $15. Too bad nobody uses a hall effect, optical, or other no-metal-contact type push button switch that doesn't wear out.

Sometimes, I see Windoze machines where someone has played with the mouse settings in the control panel. If temporarily replacing the bouncing mouse with a known good mouse does the same thing, then checking the settings might be a good idea. I've also seen problems with loose and intermittent USB connectors which tend to make the mouse move to parts unknown, usually to the opposite side of the screen. Wiggle the connector to see if that's a problem. There are also expensive mice designed for gamers with built in repeat circuitry. This feature is handy to keep from wearing out the mouse button switches, but tends to be glitchy if set too fast and the computah becomes busy running the game.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Debounce does not require latency.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Cleaning the contacts in the switches. the cause is going to be dirt in the switch or bad solder on the pcb

no

absolutely

Jasen Betts

On Sat, 11 May 2019 08:19:16 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote: (...)

Here's a potential band-aid.

Buggy-Mouse.ahk - Fix a buggy mouse. Stop it from double-clicking when you try to single-click.

I ran the .exe version on my Windoze XP machine. I planted an icon in the system tray. However, I couldn't figure out a way to test it or to understand the debug output, so I don't know if it really works.

Ah, got it. - Right click on the "H" icon in the system tray. - Check "Debug" - Uncheck "Debug (only blocked) Click any mouse button. A box full of debug gobblygook will appear. If you click any mouse button normally, it will just show which button was clicked. However, if you rapidly tap any button, it will show a button blocked message in the box. Right clicking on the "H" icon in the system tray will show a counter after the "Clicks Blocked" showing how many clicks were eaten by the program.

Kinda looks like this program might be sufficient to save you the $0.15 for a replacement mouse switch.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Dip ass. Debouncing introduces it. Sheesh, WTFU.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Sorry, it doesn't. If you would like to learn, apologize for calling me a name. Then I'll be happy to explain to you how to debounce without latency.

Or remain ignorant.

--
  Rick C.

  + Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I was counting switch events before you even knew what they were.

Not interested in your 'explanations'.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Doe wrote in news:qb8dj1$2jo$2@dont- email.me:

The fact that the driver has to process it and determine if additional noise is additional button presses or just noise and then pass the decision on.

How can you say that does not take time?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

dence.org:

instant reaction and a blanking period

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in news:278151af- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Oh I am sure that will make the gamers happy. How many missed presses per hundred... hint: one is too many.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 11:18:13 AM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wr ote:

cadence.org:

I like the fact that you have explained to him how debounce could work with out any perceptible latency and he is backpedaling saying debouncing at all would lose button presses. That's why I wouldn't explain it to him until he apologized. I knew he wouldn't apologize and even if I did tell him he wouldn't understand/believe even such a simple concept. The guy is really amazing.

--
  Rick C.

  -+ Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Rick C wrote in news:b0ca0815-9941- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are truly f***ed in the head.

Backpedal that you retarded f*ck.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You have your mouse settings in the Windoze Control Panel set to "left handed" mouse. There may also be a similar setting under "Accessibility" features.

Or, you could learn to use a mouse with your left hand, which might be useful in the future.