Re: board mounted scope probe sockets?

>John L. > >Seems like it was you who was talking some time ago about board >mounted scope probe sockets so that one could have test points with >the ground intact. The hook end is simply pulled off the probe and >stuck into one of these sockets. > >Do I have that correct? If so, where can one locate such a beast? >I've spent considerable time trying to find one. A pointer to a >source would be most appreciated. > >Thanks, >John >John DeArmond >
>Tellico Plains, Occupied TN >See website for email address

Tek sells, or maybe used to sell, them. The part numbers are for a bag of 25 pieces.

We mostly use PCB test points, glorified vias, that a probe tip will nestle into, with the occasional 2-56 screw for grounding. That's OK for all but super-fast things.

Sometimes we pick off a signal with a resistor and run that to an SMB connector, which can be patched into a 50 ohm scope. That's good to several GHz.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Like this Lecroy?

Martin Riddle

Those prices are insane. Just the little spring thingie is $8. A ground clip is $25, more than an entire decent probe costs.

lunatic fringe electronics

Try this:

If I can't find a ground spring I'll wind one out of a paperclip. It works though sometimes I have to futz with it.

Reply to
krw

This is $10:

(is that for ONE?)

This board has a mess of these test points:

The drills are 42 mils, which the standard scope probe will fit into nicely. If there aren't enough grounded spacers, you can add some 2-56 size grounded pads and install some screws when you need them, to clip probe grounds to.

lunatic fringe electronics

It's a PADS part, just a plated-through hole with round pads and a silkscreened circle to make it easier to spot. It's free!

We call it "TP"

We sometimes do a smaller one, a topside donut with no drill. A scope probe detents into the center dimple but has to be held in place. I don't much like that one.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The U.FL I mentioned before were about $0.12 on reels. Micro-coax cable connectors. You can get adapter cables up to BNC.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I'm more of a fan of the plain holes. Those cage jacks are primo for breaking off the probe pin if you get a bit fat-fingered, whereas it's more likely to survive being pulled out of a loose-fitting hole.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I am talking about these.

I connect an adapter cable to it. It does eliminate the issue of "making contact with the ground ring" and is supposedly good to 6GHz.

Useful for low frequency precision measurements. And also high frequency measurements when they can be 50ohm terminated.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

100V for our ones, apparently. They are for cell phones and routers and such AFAIK so I would not expect much there!

I posted a link in another message.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I'm a fan of MMCX connectors, mostly because I got a ton of them (and the matching jumper cables) NOS on eBay awhile back. Those U.FL ones are antenna connectors for routers and such, right?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

They look pretty nice, I am not familiar with them. A bit bulkier and more expensice than the U.FL things (probably not the official name sorry).

Sure, and cell phones originally I expect. They are a bit fiddly...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

The H.FL and U.FL parts are kind of hard to un-mate, and have a special tool to do that. One can rip the surface-mount parts off a PCB if you're not careful about yanking cables off.

MMCX detents pretty hard too, but that's OK of the connectors are thru-hole.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The edge-launch MMCXes are pretty robust too--there's lots of pad area, and the unmating torque is shear and not peel, so they stay put.

I use them all over the place--good RF performance, bulletproof, and super fast to mate and unmate.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs