Re: BASH vulnerability CVE-2014-6271

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 04:59:58 +0300, Henry Crun Gave us:

FYI: >worth updating relevant Ub. versions. See: >
> >to check whether you are vulnerable, enter: >env x='() { :;}; echo vulnerable' bash -c "echo this is a test" > >(A new version of BASH came in this mornings update)
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yup. For both CentOS 6.5 and Cygwin. Not that I run any web servers myself, of course....

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I find it ironic that people would call it a bug since it's been around for so long.

Just another back door exposed and another one will be created to fill its place.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 12:47:02 -0400, "Maynard A. Philbrook Jr." Gave us:

BASH has, but has the bug?

I think you lack a certain grasp of computer science with that claim.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

What's ironic about that?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

People have been warning against using shell scripts for CGI since the early days of the Web, but some folks didn't get the message.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

As they say, it's not a bug , it's a feature.

I went and found an article on it and it appears to operate from values in the environment variable settings that bash should not be executing as commands.

I have such a suspicious personality, so I think every one is guilty of something. I can't blow this off as mere coincidence, since it's been around for so long.

After reading how other UNIX type OS's may have this same problem, it looks like a lot of copy and pasting of code! Wouldn't you have thought that the shell would of been fixed for other platforms using the UNIX style OS?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Computer science, ha. Another yuppie...

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Rather, copying of *ideas*. And, failing to see the flaws in those ideas (or, ways of protecting against them).

Why do we still see buffer overrun problems in code? C'mon, that's a no-brainer! Yet people still use fixed size buffers and don't take steps to ensure only "5 pounds" gets stuffed into that (5 lb) bag!

Reply to
Don Y

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 16:03:42 -0400, "Maynard A. Philbrook Jr." Gave us:

You're an idiot, and not far from fitting The SlowTard's description of you.

Try thinking before you spew. Perhaps gain a reprieve.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Oh I did all thinking that was required, you're still a yuppie!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 21:00:38 -0400, "Maynard A. Philbrook Jr." Gave us:

You are still retarded. I was out of school before the term was even coined. So much for your capacity to guess weight, circus clown.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On a sunny day (Sat, 27 Sep 2014 12:47:02 -0400) it happened "Maynard A. Philbrook Jr." wrote in :

I dont use bash, but zsh shell, and that is positive too: # env x='() { :;}; echo vulnerable' bash -c "echo this is a test" vulnerable this is a test

So I remaned /bin/bash /bin/somethingelse # env x='() { :;}; echo vulnerable' bash -c "echo this is a test" env: bash: No such file or directory

logical...

and tried the test again with zsh: # env x='() { :;}; echo vulnerable' zsh -c "echo this is a test" this is a test

Seems zsh is clean. To bad a zillion scripts need bash, or have bash specified

so.... But they already know everything. eeeeh, almost... ? :-) oops need to check those logs again.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje