Re: Advances in Audio Op-Amp design

I just received the National Semiconductor monthly newsletter

> where they announce their new high-performance audio Op-Amp. > The LM4562 boasts with impressive claims on various performance > parameters. (0.00003% distortion and 2.7nV/sqHz noise). > See
> It seems if National has a challenge for other Op-Amp chip designers. > Are there anybody out there that were able to test drive one of these? > Any inside information on the National champion(s) involved in the chip > design? > It seems we will have to upgrade our distortion measuring equipment. > Gerhard van den Berg > CSIR

I fail to see the usefulness of a component such as this... Its low distortion obviously removes it from serious consideration in high-end audio equipment. Lack of the necessary distortion means that it can't clean up muddy midrange audio, nor can it make bright, crispy highs where there aren't any in the original signal. And the low end will be miserably lacking because of the obvious lack of 2nd order distortion which makes those cool guitar riffs sound so tight and mellow. The noise spec is nothing to write home about either, since it's the single factor that gives recorded music its "character". Without the low level background noise, everything sounds like it was recorded in a vacuum. It's widely accepted that humans can't live very long in a vacuum, therefore, the music will sound lifeless without the necessary noise. I hope National, and all other semi mfrs take notice of these issues and stop making such obviously low quality parts. There's just no need for them in today's leading edge audio systems.

Audiofoolery will prevail in the end!!!

{;>)

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Absolutely! When in doubt refer to...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature