Re: a trick by Philips to enforce the use of their AAA batteries

> (I was talking to Joerg about this some weeks back -- there doesn't seem > to be any really easy way to distinguish, electronically and in the > general case, a > NiCad/NiMH cell from a akaline or similar primary cell. Anyone know > differently?) >

Well, AFAIK, there's that 1.2V vs. 1.5V thing. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yeah, if you know they're freshly charged! :-)

The idea is that you wouldn't have to come up with some mechanical or manual method to disable charging circuitry in a device that could take both rechargeable and regular alakaline cells. ...althoug I'd have to admit the mechanical approach Philips uses here seems good: Cheap and cheerful! -- No doubt you've seen equipment where there was a manual switch to disable/enable charging, or sometimes the "official" rechargeable battery is in a pack that mechanically depresses a little switch inside the battery compartment.

Reply to
Joel Koltner