Re: 3SK166A dual gate GaAs MES FET replacement?

I work at a physics lab and we have some custom hardware that have

> been developed by researches along the years. We are trying to fix one > of them, but it uses a component that we are having a hard time to > find: It is a N-channel dual gate GaAs MES FET by Sony called 3SK166A.

Just from Googling, one broker claims to have stock on a 3SK166,

3SK166-1, and 3SK166A. I have never dealt with this broker before.

Brokers like this one buy up inventories of old parts from other suppliers, and/or send out random parts with false part numbers on them. Sometimes you will get the genuine part at a bargain price, and sometimes you will get a part that does not work at all.

We need help finding a compatible replacement for this component.

I have cross-posted this reply to sci.electronics.design, which is much more active than sci.electronics.components . It also has people smarter than I am who might be able to suggest a replacement. :)

What claims to be the Sony datasheet is available at:

Some of the interesting parameters seem to be: Vds 8 V, Vgs -6 V, Id 80 mA, Pd 150 mW, gain about 20 dB. The datasheet gives S parameters and noise figures for a range of 200 to 2,000 MHz. The package is a Sony M-254; it doesn't list an EIA or JEDEC package code.

Standard disclaimers apply: I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Once upon a time similar dual-gate MESFETs were made by CEL (California Eastern Laboratories), then a subsidiary of NEC.

DigiKey and Arrow used to carry them.

Here's an ancient link to the NE251, one of my old fave dual-gate MESFETs in the same ballpark as the 3SK166A:

It looks like CEL's been sold to Renesas and the dual-gates may be gone. They're wonderful parts--dunno why they went out of vogue.

GaAs MESFETs:

Maybe these clues will set you on the trail? I *might* even have some NE251xx's in the dungeon (but might've given them away).

HTH,

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Looks a lot like an NE25139, also obsolete.

Precision electronic instrumentation

They seem to have an Ebay presence as well, selling this part. It may be easier getting it from there.

JW