Raspberry brings out 5 dollar computer

Raspberry brings out 5 dollar computer:

Jan Panteltje

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 14:49:15 GMT, Jan Panteltje Gave us:

Sure... as in ZERO features..

USB 2... lame.

A single low speed ethernet port... lame.

No wifi... lame.

Better to actually pay what something is worth and get a real computer built with real quality.

Or if you are a real developer, try this mother of all SBCs.

Both can use these cool devices.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The computer is cheaper than the wall wart. ;)

Of course nobody's selling it for that. Looks useful though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

On a sunny day (Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:25:12 -0500) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

One thing I am missing is an ethernet connector?

But for some embedded stuff with such a large userbase and availability (in a while) it should be OK.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Amazing. Thanks, Jan. I can't use it much because I am an analog guy but other folks sure can. "Made in Wales", I wonder what the production cost breakdown is but I guess that's confidential.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Stuff that doesn't have IP connectivity is good for security. It's too easy to be lazy about that.

A customer of mine is using the Razz in a new product line. I may do a sensor for him with a Pi Zero and a RS-485 connection.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I don't think it has any ethernet port. Assuming it does USB host then it might be possible to plug in a No wifi... lame.

That depends entirely on what you are doing doesn't it?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

No Ethernet and just one USB port. The other USB is only for power. It's for embedded stuff where you don't need external connections, think robot joint controller, etc.

In another group a guy is using a pi as a thermostat for an oven. This would be perfect for that. If he needs a network connection he can use a WiFi dongle. $5 is pretty amazing. With a name like Raspberry Pi Zero I bet it's low calorie too.

--

Rick
Reply to

Its made by Sony, so the price of components will benefit from the their global procurement system.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

I might have a use for that. Plop it on a motherboard with some power supply, mux, ADC, RTC, like that, as a data logger.

The BeagleBone guy came out with an answer to the initial rPi, but I can't see a viable response to this. BTW, he has an effort to supply BeagleBones as industrial boards in volumes. The rPi is still an education oriented product even though it gets used in industrial applications I'm sure.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 14:17:42 -0500, rickman Gave us:

snip

I guess you are too stupid to go look at the site I gave a pointer to.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Den torsdag den 26. november 2015 kl. 15.58.59 UTC+1 skrev DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno:

so.. don't buy a VW rabbit, buy a Ferrari it only cost 50x as much but it has "features"

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Kewl.

Jan, the Pi-2 has a quad core.

They say it's 6x faster, but can a user actually take advantage of the multiple cores? Last I looked (around the Transputer days), no one really knew what to do with multiple CPUs in general-purpose applications. Only array/matrix apps seemed to really benefit.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Let one CPU do the slow data stuff (USB, command parsing, logging to flash, user interface if any) and let another one do the hard realtime stuff, like control loops.

Yeah, obviously, but that's only if there is any slow data / USB, blah, blah, blah stuff.

The cores are all sharing the same memory, so that has to be a bottleneck too unless you're tight-looping in cache.

The software would be interesting, figuring out how to schedule the four cores and split the tasks. But if there *is* only one task, it ain't always to split up in parallelable paths.

I just don't see a 4x advantage to four cores for a real-time controller. Maybe for Windows.

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Writing parallel apps is more common, but not much more common. What is more common is structuring them as multiple collaborating programs/services, each one single-threaded. For example, UI/graphics is usually a display server (perhaps with parallelism in sections), and database is easily separated from the main app. Plus desktop multi-tasking means there's more extrinsic parallelism anyhow.

Beyond that, only FP languages like Haskell, Erlang, Rust are really getting the benefit; but those are really on the move now, because you don't even have to plan parallelism, code is written in a mode that allows the machine to parallelize automatically.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

On a sunny day (Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:04:51 -0500) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

That is true. But now for development of your application. Without net connection *how* are you going to install applications? For example 'wget' and 'apt-get install' etc, data transfer will not work. You would have to take out the SDcard and use a normal (type A or B) Raspberry to do that, and removing that card every time is not practical (reboot).

Second, in *my* experience USB on Raspi is next to useless, it drops data, it is useless for an USB webcam, it drops characters on a USB keyboard, and it jams up when I put a WiFi dongle on it, Even to the point where I had to use the on board serial port at 4800 Bd to get reliable GPS data from my GPS /GLONASS module, as an USB to serial adaptor also drops characters.

1200 Bd sort of works..

This is a well know problem BTW.

So that leaves a WiFi USB adaptor (I use one Raspi as server for on a boat) something like this:

and the moment you use WiFi locally when developing then it will have a gateway to internet, and everybody and their cat in the neighborhood + drivers in traffic in your street can get access, as WiFi security is now broken to the point that every kid can now download the software to get access.

So in my view, yes, leaving out the RJ45 connector breaks security, But maybe I missed something, but I see no header for it either.

If they had brought out a Raspberry without USB but with ethernet only (and no HDMI either) I would have bought several (for 5$), I do _all_ development via ssh -Y from the main computer, and embedded does not always need HD video, nor analog video.

So I am not sure who they think they are targeting, the marketing idea seems to be to sell it with everything essential that is missing. like I see it for 20$ with some adaptor for HDMI small connectors etc, maybe then add the dangerous WiFi dongle, now its 32$, wrong move. But I already got into disagreement with Raspi when they changed the GPIO pin layout on the latest model. So to whom it may concern: How Do You Install Apps and see above.

So: I am not buying for now, till I see these issues addressed. Have not had time to study it in detail so...

So RS485 via USB adaptor or via GPIO?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, you can use apt-get from a Pi B and then move the uSD card once you get it how you like it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ltiple

what

atrix

I've been writing multithreaded apps since OS/2 2.0 came out in 1992. More cores just mean more threads running in parallel. There are APIs to set th e affinity, i.e. which threads run on which cores. I hate the way single-th readed apps go out to lunch when they're busy. (Yes, better-written ones st op occasionally and look for user input, but most don't.)

I have classes (such as SerialPort) that use a high-priority thread per obj ect. It just sits in a blocking read, and when data comes in, copies it to a circular buffer. Last time I checked, the Linux task scheduler was brain- dead, so this was more difficult, but that's another story.)

Hard real-time is easier to do with multiple chips, in my (limited) experie nce.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs