Rarely I get to brag...

Rarely I get to brag, but here's a system with an ASIC in it that I designed...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Inneresting.

Silicon-based sensors are fascinating, particularly the MEMS one (which this ain't, I think, but still...).

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Sensors were external. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Neat, 0.8 mA. I can see GPS applications, but cell phones not so much. I just don?t see a practical app in the phone, maybe the Japanese will find it a novelty.

Martin Riddle

The MEMS stuff requires heavy physics, and seems to be on the mechanical engineering side of things.

Martin Riddle

[snip]
0.8mA was quite the struggle. Everything you can think of was able to be powered down.

Actually, When I did the design (February to December 2007) I didn't have a clue about the application(s), just the required specifications ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Cell phones need GPS in order to give their location to 911. They already have a display and UI... So anything you can do on a GPS toy, you can do on a cell phone.

Phones also have network connections. They aren't really phones any more so much as platforms for collecting junk/hacks and goodies.

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to

uch.

Cell phones get their location by talking to the nearest fixed transmitters - which is what defines the cell they are in. They don't need GPS to do that. The basic hardware doesn't translate this location into GPS coordinates, and some cell-phones - such as my Mio A701 - have separate GPS hardware.

You have to pay extra to be able to exploit the network connection.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Ain't that the truth! I'd like a phone with a full keyboard (for E-mail), but NO camera... _many_ locations I visit forbid cameras inside the facility. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

What do they do about cell phones? Do they check for them? Do they know which ones don't have cameras and let them in? Or just prohibit all cell phones? ...

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to
Hal Murray

They check for cameras. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

In message , Jim Thompson writes

Mmm, similar to some places I visit. Others just ban all non approved cell phones (I.E. not company issued ones)

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

I thought the FCC had mandated GPS. Thanks for making me do some investigation. (I knew about the triangulation, but I didn't think it worked very well.)

Here is the best URL I found:

Quick summary: The FCC mandated accuracy. The cell phone companies could get that by either upgrading the gear at all their towers, or upgrading all their cell phones to use GPS. Some went each way.

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to
Hal Murray

That is the US situation now. Here's a lawyer's view of the geographical information available from cell-phone company records in the UK and Australia.

emobilephoneevidence

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Wish I still had my old analog nokia. Was cheap and the battery never died. No camera either. That was before ATT sold off its Wireless business. Perfect for the G job.

Martin Riddle