radiation panic

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

But just think of the global warming it's causing!

Reply to
krw

Ok, But um... that NOAA graph in the article is measuring radiation in centimeters. And I know that's a wave height chart. So the register can be considered a 'scare monger'.

Martin Riddle

In fact, if you Google _noaa wave height chart_ go to the entry that says _images for noaa wave height charts_, the first image looks like the one in the article.

Reply to
maury001

Lewis Page is a bandwagon troll so I wouldn't put much trust in his articles. Radioactive materials are a lot more complex than their banana equivalent.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

I have this policy. I do not aurtomatically believe anyone who says "Don't worry about it".

Just like the people whio try to tell us that it is perfectly safe to injec t a mercury compound into the body known as thimerosal. they come up with a ll these studies that claim "We found no link between...". Yeah, because th e last guy who did got fired.

How can these people think people are stupid enough to think that youi can inject a compound of MERCURY into the bloodstream ? Oh, that's right, the s ame ones who say "Don't worry about it" when you glow in the dark.

The same ones who say GMOs are not harmful. Yup, Monsanto wasn't happy with the decision of the body that decides which medical studies get published, so they threw money at it and put their boy in there to straighten things out.

But that couldn't be a conflict of interest could it ?

Actually, I am not going to worry about it, but not because they said so. I just don't really care. I don't get vaccines and I don't eat corn. I also don't swim in the ocean on the west coast. For those of you who do, sorry. you want me to sign a petition or soem shit fine, but I didn't do it dso if it costs any money get it from the people who caused the problem.

Reply to
jurb6006

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:41:34 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

You believe everything you read 'online'?

Hiroshima was safe too, look at the population of Japan, people are still alive. WTF do you think there is an international moratorium on nuke tests? Did you read the numbers of Tjernobyl?

That site is just a government supported outlet for opinion forming of those who think they are educated (by same gov).

:=)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:02:48 -0500) it happened snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in :

That is a scam also.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:55:26 -0800) it happened Kevin McMurtrie wrote in :

Exactly, its a banana article :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Whats that?

Reply to
David Eather

You are going to get run over by a bus.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Some people seem to have an AGC amplifier in their threat sensor system. Life is, maybe, 1/1000 as hazardous as the world that we evolved in, but many people still manage to find stuff to be very afraid of.

I see lots of electronic designs that are compromized by irrational fear. One thing I saw recently is a simple circuit that has multiple isolated and inductor/balun-coupled grounds, ferrite beads everywhere, all sorts of unnecessary stuff, maybe 4x as many parts as needed. (It also used to have a stolen copy of one of my circuits, gross NDA violation, removed after considerable hassle.)

People use isolators when isolation isn't needed. Ditto multiple grounds, some isolated and some star grounded, all interconnected with a maze of ground-to-ground Rs and Cs to make sure they are at the same potential.

Mostly driven by irrational fear.

Precision electronic instrumentation

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Feb 2014 08:24:04 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes, fear sells, keeps politicians in their well paying jobs, and can be used in many ways (a whole security industry sprung up after 9/11). The chances of a car hitting you are many times bigger. But that security is not a bad thing, I am all for it. But by the time I will have to get a chip implant I may join the resistance if any one left there ;-)

I just reported 2 dangerous items in ebay, item 161110407985 because it can kill you, and item 110948131685 because it interferes with radio communications. Maybe the extra beads and filters were not such a bad idea after all, the missing ones here I mean :-) As to Fuckupshima or whatever the place is called, not a month goes by without some report of an other leak of 10,000x safe level, and most of it goes into that ocean next to you. Some of these materials stay radioactive for thousands of years, some go into the air as particles that you inhale, some into fish you may eat, and some make it via evaporation - rain into your drinking water, and some are carried by the jet streams to the US main land, as far as Colorado etc. Governments want to avoid panic, they need rest and control, after all a politician without control is just a thin voice in the air. So not so much for the peoples sake but for their own sake. Japanese government has been downplaying, or to put it a bit better _lying_ about the radiation levels and that company has exposed workers to much more radiation than any human ever encountered.

And, I am all for nuclear power, really. We need it, maybe the Thorium reactors will be safe, and maybe something can make fusion, I have read the big ignition facility did a break even (sort of), so who knows, think 50 years? I dunno. And there is LENR (low Energy Nuclear Reactions). But fears, no, please keep the filters coming, short wave reception is next to impossible here with any AC adaptor (wallwart) plugged it, I found that when trying to receive WWV (is it WWV on 10 Mhz?) and that is why I bough the Rubidium standard on ebay, IIRC you use one too. And with those Chinese designs spreading like the pest, soon all RF bands will be totally polluted, especially when they go to ever higher frequencies to save some copper wire and core material.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There is much truth to that. But of course, there also exist real dangers. A while ago I sopped at a car which had gone off the road in a skid. I coul d see the wavy lines of gasoline fumes in the air, and a woman was sitting in the car, her hands on the wheel. I said to myself, "Well, you've lived a long time anyway," so I approached and said, "Don't you think you should g et out of the car?"

About false dangers, the big federal government we have LOVES fake dangers, for the simple reason it justifies their existence. I am told that Kid's S uperman costumes must have the mandated warning "This should not be used to jump off high places." Our feds at work. (and play) About this whole issue, I highly recommend the Youtube talks by Prof. Bruce Ames. He was the foremost expert on environmental cancer causes, and the f amous "Ames Test" for carcinogens bears his name. Now, at age 82, he says, "It's all bullshit." But a multi-billion dollar federal bureaucracy now ign ores him as a senile crank. All their funding, breaucratic jobs, programs, international meetings, eager graduate students, drafted regulations, enfor cement teams, retirement, databases, theory, mathematical models, Hazmat su its, inspections, meetings, newsletters, mailing lists, restricted and open journals, publications, books, endowed chairs, experts, departments.... What do you mean, it's all bullshit! sheesh.

Reply to
haiticare2011

put CR's

[...]

Are you planning to calibrate your geiger counter with one of these? I don't think one will be enough. You'll need a whole bunch.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Feb 2014 18:02:20 +0000 (UTC)) it happened Cursitor Doom wrote in :

Calibrate in in SF seawater or on theie beaches.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I *was* able to reproduce a related phenomenon in my local hardware store. A sack of water-softener crystals (potassium chloride) read out about twice the number of clicks-per-minute as a background reading in the same store. Same origin... potassium 40.

The figures I've heard for predicted radiocesium levels in Pacific Coast seawater run up to around 27 Becquerels per cubic meter. The background radioactivity of seawater (again. mostly due to radioactive potassium) is about 14 Becquerals per liter, or 14,000 Becquerals per cubic meter.

So, a high-end estimate of the amount of radioactive cesium which will reach the west coast of the U.S., suggests that it will increase the radioactivity of the seawater by 0.2%.

So... certainly measurable with sophisticated equipment (gamma-ray spectrometers). Almost certainly not measurable in any reliable way with simple Geiger counters.

Granted, not all radionucleotides have the same biological effect when they decay (different emission mechanisms)... but it certainly doesn't seem that a 0.2% increase is something to panic about.

Reply to
David Platt

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:00:10 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

.

[...]

Your beliefs are the only bullshit around here. Cancers are declining, chro nic illnesses are declining, environmentally caused deaths are declining, a nd you think that is just an accident?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Article written by a braindead maroon. The sea life will happily concentrate the radioactivity to lethal levels and present it to you on your seafood platter, and the sea gulls will bomb your habitat with radioactive doodoos.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred