lusional.

nage fame

moron

recy was

idiot.

atter

the

is must

several technicians get blown up. They were relaying each and every move t hey made by telephone to people in safety, so they had a record up to stage N, turn this left, BOOM, next man turned it right and so on, until they go t it right.

was considered to be a safe distance and make detailed notes of our action s and progress for reference in case of accidents"

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I think they did appreciate it very quickly. They introduced higher frequency radar detection receivers to the submarine fleet very soon afterwards.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

owen

Arrived today, thanks.

I'm looking forward to reading it--I've spent the last two weeks straight w orking on Waymo v Uber and I need some down time. Interesting case but very very busy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

It was a back and forth thing for awhile, but by the end of the war a posting on a U-boat was a death sentence. The U-boats never had a detector for centimetric radar, which could easily see them even when running on schnorkel.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

That's all a pile of bullshit. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

"However, none of these WWII radars had the appropriate design and performa nce characteristics to detect small radar-cross-section targets such as exp osed periscopes. "

Germans could make about 7.5 knots submerged and they had a fast crash dive feature, but that's mighty slow for an evasion maneuver. The Americans wer e even worse at only 2 knots submerged. The technology back then was pathet ic. But it's that poor performance and the development of sonar that made t hem a death trap.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

-------------------------------------

** Bullshit.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You just worry about your la-ti-da music concerts, feckless old brainless fossil.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

** Far as I can find using Google, no mortar shells used VT fuses during the B of the B. 5 inch artillery shells were fitted & fired at a high trajectory with similar effect.
** The US Navy were using them long before that.

** The main effect if ground based AA was to keep bombers up at very high altitudes and prevent accurate bombing.

** Not so - they very much appreciated what they saw and found out from captured British air crew. Soon made 10cm radar detectors and their own versions of the magnetron.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison