Quick Solenoid Question

I'm trying to decide what solenoids I need for a project I'm working on and I have one quick question...

will a 24V solenoid running on 24V strike with the same force as a 12V solenoid running on 12V? (is it a voltage ratio thing, or just a total voltage level thing).

thanks, Tom

Reply to
tomiedema

I'm trying to decide what solenoids I need for a project I'm working on and I have one quick question...

will a 24V solenoid running on 24V strike with the same force as a 12V solenoid running on 12V? (is it a voltage ratio thing, or just a total voltage level thing).

thanks, Tom

Reply to
tomiedema

All else being equal, no. Once you have the magnetic circuit designed and you've given a certain space claim to the copper, winding the magnet for

28V will take two times the length of wire that's 1/2 the area, it'll have 4 times the resistance, half the current, the same power and the same force. The only place where this won't hold is if the solenoid manufacturer can't get just the right gauge of wire, the wire is so small there's more enamel than copper in the wind, or the wire is so big there's more air than copper in the wind.
--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Obviously, it would matter as to which 12V solenoid you are comparing with which 24V solenoid. If they were both rated for the same wattage and a similar overall design, it should not matter. In selecting any solenoid, you need to look at the data sheet to see if it has the holding force, response time, power requirement, etc. to work in your application. Also, the data sheet will usually have specs for continuous and intermittant current allowed. For example, you can usually apply 24V to the 12V solenoid if the time was limited.

Reply to
Gary Reichlinger

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1180399334.512636.239750 @k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Its a power thing. You will need the same amount of power to pull or push the same load. You just need more current at 12V, which means heavier wires and drivers.

Reply to
Gary Tait

if the solenoids are the same shape and draw the same amount of power (eg. 1A @ 24V vs 2A @ 12V ) then they will likely have the same strength.

Bye. Jasen