Questioning CD4017 Outputs

I have a CD4017 wired up as shown in the second illustration on this page.

The clock input is 128Hz.

I had assumed the individual divide down outputs, from 2 to 9, would appear simultaneously as rectangle waves at their respective pins.

However, I only get the same divide by 4 result at pins 2,3 and 4, and _nothing_ on the other outputs. I note the illustration shows three phases for these.

Can someone explain why this might be happening? I checked the chip and it is not bad.

Ken Knowles

Reply to
Ken Knowles

That would be correct. RST is an asynchronous reset.

Therefore as soon as a '1' is seen on Q3 the counter is reset so that only Q0 is '1'. On each clock edge the high will advance down the Qs. There will be no more than a "glitch" on Q3 whilst the device is being reset.

Quite rightly Q5 to Q9 should stay low.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Hi Ken

Counters come in many different flavours:

-

Ring counters - A 4017 is a Johnson counters:

Quote: "... Johnson counter devices A pair of integrated circuit Johnson counter devices with the output states decoded is available. We have already looked at the CD4017 internal logic in the discussion of Johnson counters. The 4000 series devices can operate from 3V to 15V power supplies. The the 74HC' part, designed for a TTL compatiblity, can operate from a 2V to 6V supply, count faster, and has greater output drive capability. For complete device data sheets, follow the links. ..."

4017B Decade counter (5-stage Johnson counter):

74HC4017; 74HCT4017 datasheet:

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Is there a way to cause all Q pins to output their respective divide downs at once?

IOW I would like to have divide by 4, 5, 6 and 9 all available at the same time.

Ken Knowles

Reply to
Ken Knowles

Four counters works. You can do a /4 followed by /2 to get /6, but /5 and /9 will take individual counters. You're talking about dividing, so you'll have to have a separate counter for each prime factor. It gets even stickier if you want a 5% duty cycle.

Reply to
krw

The CD4017 is a Johnston counter i.e. a shift register with the final Q and Q- output inverted before feeding into the input again. Each of the ten states are decoded by a two input AND gate between two flip-flops.

Since you are doing an asynchronous reset (RST) before the signal propagates through this shift registers, the high number AND gates never get he correct input combinations and they never produce an output.

Reply to
upsidedown

The 4017 is a divide by 10 Johnson counter + decoder. If you connect Q3 to the reset you will force it to divide by 3 and will get the following output:

Q2 Q1 Q0

0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 (repeat)

Which is a divide by 3, just as shown in the diagram Figure 1 that you linked to. where Q0..Q2 are Phase1..Phase 3. The difference between the outputs is the phase, the pulse width and frequencies are the same.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That's not what the 4017 does. Without the reset pulse, it outputs high on Q0, then high on Q1, then high on Q2, on through Q9, then back to high on Q0.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

--
And how does any of that provide him with the help he asked for?

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

--
How would you do that, exactly?
Reply to

Same old pattern: people are trying to be objective and helpful, and JF turns it mean and whiny.

I don't know of any device that operates this way out of the box. It would be a simple matter to program up whatever divides you want in a PLD. There are fairly small devices which can do what you want, but I expect the lack of DIP packages will be an issue for you, no? Perhaps an FPGA eval board will give you what you want? Check out any of a number of low cost eval boards.

--

Rick
Reply to

So why are you here trying to create drama?

--

Rick
Reply to

Larkin must be off his meds again. For a week or so there he was quite civil... now he's back to his standard mean-spirited nature. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You might notice that JF, as usual, injected personal nastiness into a collegial technical discussion. He's the one who's in a foul mood. I don't think it's inappropriate to note when people do that chronically.

He has started the usual flame cascade.

And I take all my meds every morning, or almost every morning. They all work pretty well.

I'm stuck in a smallish cabin in the mountains with eight speech pathologists. Guess what: they talk constantly!

As far as the OP goes, I can't understand what he's trying to do, so I have had nothing to say about counters.

So there. Pbbbbttttt!

Utter nonsense.

I was being objective by noticing that not one of Glenn's references
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Actually he didn't. All he did was ask a question. It may not have been overly polite, but it was a far cry from calling anyone "mean and whiny".

He did pretty much nothing. The "cascade" can only happen if you participate. Why can't you stop participating? Are you compulsive about this? That is a serious question, not intended to be an insult.

So much for your usual defense of "I'm here to talk about technical stuff".

--

Rick
Reply to

I'd like the group to be polite and technical and professional. JFs post, like most of his posts, was none of the above. He often turns technical posts into flame threads.

I merely asked a question - which had nothing to do with you - in a
way which happened to wind you up, and you just **had** to jump in